New 3D App

Discussion in 'Software and Applications' started by keithmcp, Aug 28, 2008.

1. keithmcp
    keithmcp Member
    I currently use AutoCAD 2008 for both 2D and 3D, but have found that the 3D part is sometimes difficult to use. I am looking to "upgrade" to a "true" 3D application. I have looked at 3d studio Max and Blender. Which would be the better route to go?
    Cost is not the main issue here. I just need some input from you guys who use these as to which would be easier to learn and/or use.
    Also if there is another app you recommend just let me know.

Thanks for the input.

2. Dalhimar
    Dalhimar Member
    I personally would suggest trying 3d studio max and blender, blender is free and 3dsmax offers a 30 day demo with full features.
    I like 3ds max because it is extreamly easy to navigate the interface and find the specific modifiers, tools, and utilities you need.
    I have let people try it and they have made basic things within 10 minutes of sitting down, with no previous history of modeling.
    It has plenty of options, fully supports multi-core and 64bit processors. It also has built in systems for grid/distributed rendering(multiple computers to render one scene at the same time).
    Standard interfaces has 4 windows, and a toolbar to the right. The windows are top left and front views in wireframe, with the 4th being perspective and fully shaded/colored.
    From my experience, blender can be a bit of a pain for people just starting out with the program, it can be a little difficult at first but once you get used to it, it works decently, but i have not used it much so others will have to fill you in on that.

3. Turbo3d
    Turbo3d Member