Need Help With Materials For Rc

Discussion in 'RC Cars, Boats and Planes' started by Fungi, Apr 3, 2017.

1. Fungi
    Fungi Well-Known Member
    Hi there, I have been making 1/24th scale rc car parts using unpolished wsf for a long time. I wanted to here from you guys if you think this chassis can be made in polished wsf, and or metallic plastic? The tubes are .1" and .08" and the overall size is 2.6" x 5.3" x 2.2". Should I add all colors and metallic plastic options, or stay with my black unpolished parts?

eclipse-curvy-52.jpg

2. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
    Yeah, it will work. I'd add all of Shapeways' polyamide materials. I'd even add Raw Aluminum as an option as well.

3. Fungi
    Fungi Well-Known Member
    I went to the info page for materials and don't see where they are calling anything "polyamides", if that's even a real word... ;) lol Is it just the wsf and metallic plastic materials? Thanks

4. UniverseBecoming
    Polyhexamethyleneadipamide! HAHA! :D

That's a big word that I learned when I was a kid. :p I learned it cuz it was a big word that I found when I was learning about plastics and I thought that the large size made it cool. See the amide on the end there? Polyamide is another way to say that long word. What is it? Nylon 66 basically.

So yeah, all of Shapeways' Strong & Flexible Plastics and the Metalic Plastic. They can be referred to as Nylon or polyamide laser sintered powders. Or, if you're anal polyhexamethyleneadipamide powders. :p The Metallic Plastic has a percentage of aluminum powder added to the polyamide powder.

5. stannum
    stannum Well-Known Member
    Nylon 12, not 66. Now you can learn a new one, poly(12-aminododecanoic acid lactam).

6. UniverseBecoming
    Good catch! :D

7. LulaNord
    LulaNord New Member
    Hi...i am a new user here. As per my knowledge the Institute for Advanced Composites Manufacturing Innovation (IACMI) is embarking on a new project in collaboration with Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) and Local Motors to use large-scale additive manufacturing in the development of new materials with with advanced composite reinforcements.The collaboration will focus on the development of composite materials for low-cost automotive parts. The three organizations will work together on design and materials selection for a new process that involves the use of additive manufacturing to reinforce advanced composite parts for vehicles.