Need Experienced 3d Modelers!

Discussion in '3D Design Requests' started by bluetazz16, Dec 2, 2019.

1. bluetazz16
    bluetazz16 Member
    Hello, my name is Jackson Van Dyke and I am a student at Jewell school trying to finish my senior project. I chose to do 3D modeling as one of my jobs for my senior project but need a interview of an experienced 3D modeler. If anyone would be willing to help me with this task so I can graduate it would be greatly appreciated!
    Questions:
    1. Do you enjoy your job as a 3D modeler?
    2. Where did you learn to 3D model?
    3. What was your favorite project so far?
    4. What 3D modeling software do you use?
    5. What do you 3D model for(Games, Movies, Construction, etc.)?
    6. What does your average work day look like as a 3D modeler?
    7. Would you suggest the life of a 3D modeler to others?

2. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    1. Do you enjoy your job as a 3D modeler? For me, it's a hobby not a job. I've been addicted to 3d for 45+ years
    2. Where did you learn to 3D model? 7th grade drafting class, Self taught (trial+error), F1 (the help menus)
    3. What was your favorite project so far? https://www.shapeways.com/product/CJBF94BKN - also my biggest failure, I couldn't articulate it to let it move.
    4. What 3D modeling software do you use? Openscad, Truespace, Bender
    5. What do you 3D model for (Games, Movies, Construction, etc.)? Model Trains mostly
    6. What does your average work day look like as a 3D modeler? A few hours most nights
    7. Would you suggest the life of a 3D modeler to others? No more than any other profession that you are passionate about. Find what you love and you'll never work a day in your life.

3. bluetazz16
    bluetazz16 Member
    Thank you very much for your answer, I appreciate it very much!

4. philnolan3d
    philnolan3d Well-Known Member
    1. I love working as a 3D Modeler but finding work as a freelancer can be quite difficult.

2. I went to several art schools but my 3D modeling started at The Digital Animation & Visual Effects School (DAVE School) back in 2002.

3. Favorite project out of 17 years is tough! Probably my final project in school. It was a 6 minute sci-fi short film based on a comic book called Chimera. I modeled all of the outdoor environments, a cool sci-fi gun, and a vehicle. I also worked on some of the texturing and animation.

4. I use LightWave 3D and 3D-Coat for sculpting and more.

5. As a freelancer I use 3D for whatever the job is. Sometimes films or TV commercials, often 3D printing here at Shapeways or for manufacturing.

6. Since I work from home I pretty much set my own schedule but when your computer is in front of you all day it's hard to stop working and separate work from normal life.

7. Working as a 3D Modeler can be very difficult but also very rewarding when the project is finally finished and you see how awesome it looks and when other people see it and love it. So while it's hard, yes, I would recommend it.

5. bluetazz16
    bluetazz16 Member
    Thank you for the info, the more people I have to quote the stronger my project will be. Thank you!

6. CapHerlock
    CapHerlock Well-Known Member
    1. Yes I really do, it's very rewarding when people share their happiness about something you made for them.
    2. To be honest I got into 3D modelling not a long time ago, about 3-4 years, and I learned by trade during the 2nd year of university.
    3. Even though in less than 2 years here at SW I've made 12 model kits and hundreds of smaller stuff, my favourite (and biggest) project is just getting started: I'm collaborating with a local museum to reconstruct and recreate three 1/100 Roman ship models for display.
    4. Alias Automotive and Netfabb, both by Autodesk.
    5. Mostly stuff to sell here on SW, either under request or just stuff that I want to make and sell.
    6. Working from home, it's much more relaxing because you can manage your time better doing all the various things that you need, although there are some days in which I could never get tired of modelling and others in which is a pain just to think about something to make.
    7. Life as a 3D modeller is not easy. You have to know your trade very well to be competitive, otherwise you can't make a living out of it. From what I can see there is a ton of people out there which uses 3D printing but doesn't fully understands that not every single model on the net can be 3D printed. So I reckon there's a need for 3D modellers but at the same time, I won't recommend it as a job because you'd need to understand it in every nut and bolt to make a living out of it. That doesn't mean though you should not try, you won't know if you're good at it if you never try. I just think it's not a job for everybody.

7. GrumpyAlison
    GrumpyAlison Well-Known Member
    1. Most of the time I very much do. I work as a freelancer (and teach 3d modeling and animating for extra income).

2. College - I majored in 3D animation

3. It's not a particularly fun or complex model, but I really like being able to print my own frag racks for my corals :p Other than that, I just enjoy doing more organic designs. Favorite original design I did recently was this weird helmet: https://skfb.ly/6NOQt which I modeled off a mask I made of my face last year and remixed, then painted with oil paints.

4. Maya for hard modeling, Modo for organic stuff, zBrush or Mudbox for sculpting, and occasionally Meshmixer, 3D builder & tinker cad. Working on learning Blender and Fusion.

5. For freelance I primarily model for 3d printing (usually on FDM machines), teaching I stick with modeling for the animation pipeline & rendering, and i have an on-off recurring job that requires modeling & animating for a game.

6. Average work day for me is hanging out with my cat on half my computer while i try to get work done. It's mostly just plodding through jobs and constantly fishing around for new ones.

7. It depends entirely on the kind of work style you like (speaking specifically of freelancing because I've never worked in industry). If you have trouble motivating yourself, then no because you probably won't complete jobs in a timely manner or find jobs in the first place (it takes some looking sometimes). If the idea of a 9-5 is deeply unappealing to you and you don't mind looking for new jobs all the time, then it might be a good fit. It's easier to find small jobs for 3d modeling than coding in my experience, so it can be easier to get started if you don't have a lot of projects in your portfolio.

8. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
    1. Do you enjoy your job as a 3D modeler?
    It's not a job for me, it's always been just for fun. Although, because of Shapeways, I got into jewelry design, which involves 3D modeling and that is kinda like a job because I'm mostly serious about it most of the time. Yes! I enjoy it immensely! You can make things virtually and that's amazing to me! Then, those things can be made tangible via 3D printing and that is even more amazing!

2. Where did you learn to 3D model?
    When personal computers first came out I was heavily into art and I had a job as a commercial artist doing architectural rendering. That's where you take blueprints of a building and make a painting or drawing of what the building will look like when it's finished. Well, it takes huge amounts of time to do that and I thought it would be cool to do it all in 3D on a computer and that's what I started working on. The CAD was nothing then, just lines, but once created in 3D it could be looked at in various ways and that was helpful for getting posing ideas. I'm also an inventor so I used CAD to help me design things. So, in short, I learned by myself in my bedroom because there were no classes or anything like that.

3. What was your favorite project so far?
    This! https://www.shapeways.com/product/P489GUZ4Z
    3D Printer World Expo win croped.jpg
    I was just messing around and I won first place! :D

4. What 3D modeling software do you use?
    SpaceClaim and Zbrush. I would probably use 3DS Max too if I had a license.

5. What do you 3D model for(Games, Movies, Construction, etc.)?
    Art and innovation.

6. What does your average workday look like as a 3D modeler?
    Well, when I do 3D stuff it's usually working nonstop 19 hours a day. I'm a perfectionist so it takes me about 5 times longer to do stuff compared to non-perfectionists so I put in a lot of hours when I do work.

7. Would you suggest the life of a 3D modeler to others?
    If you're an artist that likes high tech then I would say absolutely! :)