Need Advice On This

Discussion in 'My Work In Progress' started by marshalld1993, Feb 11, 2020.

1. marshalld1993
    marshalld1993 Member
    Hi, I have been getting into designing custom rings recently, one of the thing I recently tried was a pair of rings that "twist" together.

https://www.shapeways.com/model/3dtools/7097603/0/23?key=d6ea851032d4c27de47c57b35e4c02de

https://www.shapeways.com/model/3dtools/7094670/0/23?key=04c8235d662c12f39b85d0f2e72272c6
    The pair printed fine in polished brass, albeit a bit soft and deformed during the polishing process, nonetheless I adjusted them back into shape and they match up perfectly fine.

But, I want to try printing them in stainless steel, and the thought about unsupported wires comes into mind. the auto analysis don't think it is a problem, but if I treat the "coil" section and the "S" section as wire, this is a relatively long unsupported wires. even though the cross section is reasonable (a bit above 2mm x 1.5mm), and having it curled up probably help protect it compared to a straight unsupported wire.auto clicker

Anyone think this is worth a try? or has anyone here has experience with similar design?

Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
  2. Shea_Design
    Shea_Design Well-Known Member
    Since the SS is a new material I suspect you may just have to try a run. I also suspect it will warp due to thermal processes,.. and be very difficult to straighten. I used another service that offers DLMS in SS and the results were amazing, super fine detail but my part was pretty flat and the build volume is only 35 mm, but very precise. Let us know! -S

3. catslady123
    catslady123 Well-Known Member
    Be careful with steel and rings... steel is notorious for its dimensional variation, particularly shrinking, and its way more apparent with rings and functional part. Not sure how prevalent that is with the new stainless options but with the bronze infused options it's almost a guarantee.

Let us know how it turns out! Very cool design. I bet the longer wiry parts would be more likely to survive in the stainless option since it sounds like that has a more dense greenstate.