My model keeps coming out at over 120 dollars! What am I doing wrong?

Discussion in 'My Work In Progress' started by AquaNovae, Jun 10, 2013.

1. AquaNovae
    AquaNovae New Member

I am making a filter instert that slides into the back of an aquarium filter. It is not much larger than the palm of your hand really...
    Height: 6.5 inches or 16.5 cm
    Width: 5.85 inches or 14.7cm
    Depth: 0.5 inches or 1.5cm

And I have made it as hollow as I feel it can be to be structurally sound. Yet no matter what I do, the price point comes out at insane numbers. This should probably cost 12 dollars, not 120 dollars.

I have attached my model as a .dae file and .skp file. I am totally at a loss as to what mistake I made that seems to have the volume so high, and thus, the price.

Any and all help or advice is greatly appreciated. This is my first ever attempt at 3d modeling, so I'm sorry if it was a stupid or obvious mistake.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 10, 2013
  2. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    Your model is using 150cm3 of material.. that's going to be expensive. 147&H=15&T=3

Shapeways prices are not based upon the discounts you see for mass-production items, but rather upon the amount of material used and the amount of time (electricity) required to fuse what is essentially a powder into a solid object by using a (thin) laser beam. Larger items require significantly longer print times (more electricity).

One note: you attempted to make your square side beams hollow, but if there is no escape hole for the material, it will be treated as a solid. You might be able to shave a bit of price off by adding escape holes, but it won't be significant.
  3. AquaNovae
    AquaNovae New Member
    Ah thanks for the perspective!. I will work on it, and maybe what I make out of this can simply be a prototype.
  4. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Shapeways Employee Community Team
    Twice in one day I get to promote my instructable! Then you can fill it up with resin and make a mold of it.
  5. AquaNovae
    AquaNovae New Member
    Thanks for that tutorial. I will try that now.