My Model Could not be printed because it needs to be hallow... Need help with programs

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by robertpalm89, Mar 12, 2013.

1. robertpalm89
    robertpalm89 New Member
    Hello! So I created a model in Sculptris that was not able to be printed, I am still waiting to see if there are other materials I could print it in...
    I am wondering what program I would use to hallow out a design? Or what other programs I should be design in? I really like the shaping I get with Sculptris and free form it has. I just need some help figuring this out. Thank you for your help and support! This community has been great!
  2. Keymaker
    Keymaker Well-Known Member
    you can use pretty much any program that support boolean operations...
  3. robertpalm89
    robertpalm89 New Member
    Is there a program with this and freeware?
  4. Keymaker
    Keymaker Well-Known Member
  5. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Shapeways Employee Community Team
    I also use blender. I'm actually contemplating a more complete sculptris to Blender to SW tutorial.

When I hollow I use solidify
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  6. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
    Oh, so you already made a thread for this, good. :)

The program you want, if you liked Sculptris, is Zbrush. In fact, Zbrush has a special command for doing this hollowing out process. It's the world's best and most used digital sculpting software. It's about $600 US though and super hard to learn.

For free, in addition to what's been mentioned, you could use Meshmixer. See this video.

As side note, I just tried the Blender Solidify command and that works great! Thanks for sharing that, I didn't know about that. :D
  7. SGDesigns
    SGDesigns New Member
    Ive heard about sculptris, whats the difference between that and Zbrush 4r4?
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  8. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Shapeways Employee Community Team
    Zbrush acquired Sculptris a while ago, because it's awesome. So Zbrush implemented code from Sculptris into Zbrush to enhance Zbrush. So from what I see (I don't have nor have I used Zbrush) Zbrush is like Sulptris with at least $700 worth of extra features and coolness. Don't think I'd be able to do this in Sculptris [​IMG]
  9. NickHawkins
    NickHawkins Active Member
    You need to check the results of solidify, I've tried using it for small model aircraft and the results were unpredictable. I now duplicate the main shape and then scale it.
  10. bartv
    bartv New Member
    Let me know when you do, might be nice material for a post on BlenderNation :)