more manifold problems spread across many models

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by 3864_deleted, Feb 2, 2010.

1. 3864_deleted
    3864_deleted Member
    deleted

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    I can help, what formats can you export that aren't stl?

3. 3864_deleted
    3864_deleted Member
    Thanks for the offer. Whatever Rhino exports; so 3ds, dxf, iges (I think), obj and a few others.

4. Youknowwho4eva
  5. 3864_deleted
    3864_deleted Member
    Thanks, I'll get a couple out tonight after I get home from work.

6. robert
    robert Member
    Hey dymihail!

In attach you find a fixed version of your file.

We are working on adding autofixing of files to our upload functionality. I used the same software to fix this file.

Cheers!

Robert

[removed model upon user request]

7. Youknowwho4eva
    My problem with STL's is not only about that my main software doesn't like them much. But when you open an STL to do work, it's broken into polygons. All round surfaces are squared up. Then you fix it and export again, it breaks it differently. I've emailed you back about the file types I can work with. If you send me a solids file, I can heal it up and export as a high res STL. I always try to make my uploads at the polygon limit.

8. 21872_deleted
    21872_deleted Member
    robert, autofixing would be amazing feature! there would be a ton more of customers who would be willing to upload without having the headache of fixing the manifolds and the such! omg!

9. 25182_deleted
    25182_deleted Member
    Doesn't seem like its caught the overlapping triangles, there's still about 13,000 in there. SDabbs and I ran up against this problem pretty badly with some of his models.

You should look into eliminating that check. Overlaps have never given my machines any trouble at all. But I understand that you're quotation system is probably messed up by them, so it might not be so easy.

10. robert
    robert Member
    Well it isn't perfect yet. :)

Though this model uploads fine and is accepted by our validation software which is the most important thing.
    You are right that overlapping triangles are fine for most printers.

11. 3864_deleted
    3864_deleted Member
    @crsdfr -- some of my models? IIRC, this is the only one that I've posted and available for download... not that I'm denying anything. My models are ugly. Been busy as all get out at work the last few days and haven't had the energy to do much modeling when I get home.

@robert -- auto-fixing software would be great. But as you said, it's not perfect. It cut a big hole in the top of the bridge. Well, "big" is relative on a ~45mm long model... But it was simple enough to work around and I certainly appreciate your work. Anytime you need more Guinea pig models, let me know. I have some right fugly ones.

I'll pop a few more up tonight in case anyone else is interested in seeing what I've been working on and is willing to take a look. Anything is appreciated, but certainly not expected.

12. 25182_deleted
    25182_deleted Member
    Sorry, should of been clearer, SDabbs is another member here. I was trying to help him eliminate overlaps in some of his ZBrush models.

Your model looks good :) Overlaps are just an artifact that you get sometimes converting into .stl.

13. 3864_deleted
    3864_deleted Member
    deleted

14. virtox
    virtox Active Member Moderator
    Same problem with this model, there are 117 shells.
    Many of which sit almost perfectly next to eachother.

So, just like for the other thread/model : try boolean functions and reducing the shell count.
    And make sure you don't place two objects with opposites faces, directly next to eachother.

Also try a different file format STL is terrible with crossing and overlapping shells.

But unfortunately, the way your models are currently build up, is prone to a lot of trouble.

Best is to work with one shell, and certainly not whole shells in shells, as this makes finding errors on the inside difficult ;)

Last edited: Feb 8, 2010