Mold Making

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Symphony, Mar 29, 2013.

1. Symphony
    Symphony New Member
    Hi everyone, I'm pretty new to making jewelry myself so and info would be very helpful. I want to make
    a mold I can use to cast resin in but I don't know what the best material I should get it printed in.

Has anyone ever got a mold made for resin?

Thanks,
    Symp

2. StumpChunkman
    StumpChunkman New Member
    Sorry, I had two pages open and responded on the wrong one.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  3. lensman
    lensman Well-Known Member
    Is it your intention to make a mold that has no undercuts so that the resin will "pop" out? - If not you will have a problem. Even then I think the resin would resist coming out of the mold. I once made a silicone mold from a sandstone model and then used that to make the resin piece. Worked fine, as I suspect most materials here would.

4. Symphony
    Symphony New Member
    Hey lensman

When you say no undercuts do you mean inner hole in the object? If so then yes, one of the molds does have a inner circle hole in the top of it. My goal was to be able to skip making a silicone mold all together, but I didn't think of the undercut thing thx. I've been told alittle WD-40 does a good job helping release resin.

5. lensman
    lensman Well-Known Member
    Well a hole would certainly be an extreme undercut, yes. Just keep in mind that you won't get a hard resin out of a hard mold unless there are no undercuts - with the exception being the destruction of the mold in the process.