Model photo upload problem

Discussion in 'Bug Reporting' started by barkingdigger, Feb 1, 2013.

1. barkingdigger
    barkingdigger Well-Known Member
    Hi,

I'm new, and trying to add "glamour" shots to my first-ever Shapeways item, but when I go to "Edit Model" and then browse to a photo (cropped to the recommended 674x501 pixels) I fail to find any sort of "save" or "update" button to make the pic happen. Over on the right, the materials list and display options both have "update" buttons, but not the photo section on the left? Am I missing something here?

I'm running IE9 on Windows 7.

Tom

2. Magic
    Magic Well-Known Member
    Currently, uploads do not work on IE: it seems that a pop up windows fails to appear. Try with another browser (Chrome, Firefox...).

3. barkingdigger
    Thanks - I was afraid of that. Any idea if Shapeways is fixing this rather irritating problem that prevents photo uploads from arguably the most widely used browser on the planet?

4. PeregrineStudios
    PeregrineStudios Well-Known Member
    Also probably the worst. The issue is far more likely IE-end than Shapeways-end. There's a reason IE is the laughingstock of the internet.

5. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    I'm no web designer, but from what I hear, designing for IE requires more work that Safari, Chrome, and Firefox combined.

6. barkingdigger
    Has Shapeways actually decided to let this situation ride, or are they likely to fix it regardless of personal feelings about IE? I have no interest in MS products other than using them because they are on my machine, so I fully understand how those "in the know" feel about IE, but shutting out the majority of browser users seems a commercially-detrimental policy. Oh, well...

7. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    I have found that if I press the ENTER key in the box after it is filled in with the filename, that it will upload the file with no issues using IE9.

It's just not obvious that you must press ENTER.

8. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Nothing gets pushed off the table because of browser preference. I'll try to figure out the status.

9. barkingdigger
    Thanks folks! Clicking in the browse box after the file name/path is chosen does indeed add the pic, so that's good! (But either some on-page explanation, or a good old "go" button would be advisable...)