"model Failed During Repair"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rroston, Jul 17, 2017 at 1:50 PM.

1. rroston
    rroston New Member
    Hello!

I am trying to create some products using the Pymol Software for 3D printing. I save/export the file as Vrml 2 (.wrl), but when I try to upload it to shapeways, I get the message "model failed during repair." However, there is no additional information as to why it failed. I am new to coding, but when I download the file and compare the code to other models that have worked, I don't see obvious red flags.

Any idea as to why my upload is failing? (I am attaching the zip file here).

thank you!

Attached Files:

2. Shea_Design
    Shea_Design Well-Known Member
    When I import your model to 3ds max there are 9 copies of each primitive. Of course you'll want a single manifold mesh for 3D printing so you'll need to boolean or dynamesh, etc. I may have a go. Maybe leave the camera out of the scene too. -S

3. rroston
    rroston New Member
    Thanks for the response. Right, I intentionally made 9 copies and overlaid them in pymol before output, because when I uploaded a single copy it fragmented my model into about 14 pieces. I found that in simpler structures overlaying identical copies worked. But not this time.

Additionally, where is the camera in the scene? And do you know how to change that?

Thanks!

4. Shea_Design
    I've got it down to a single prim set (320 Objects) , from 2.49 Million to 149K polygons! Are you hoping to retain color data?

5. rroston
    rroston New Member
    Wow, great!

I am hoping to retain color data.

Can you let me know how you did this so that I can do it in the future?

Thanks again.

6. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Camera ("Viewpoint" block in the file) does not hurt. Multiple overlays however will make it harder - or in your case impossible for shapeways' software to resolve the overlaps. Better look at the what causes the fragmentation in the first place - you may have some imperfect intersections there. Probably better to solve this at the pymol level, or find some vrml editor for your platform (a text editor will do if you are patient enough...)

7. Shea_Design
    I just sent you a PM linking to a zip with WRL, STL & OBJ - All manifold (2 inch scale). I don't have a simple way to preserve the color data although I was able to project the face material ID onto the Dynameshed version (ZBrush). @mkroeker sounds like he knows more about this particular workflow and your toolset. Good luck! -S

8. rroston
    rroston New Member
    Thanks, @Shea_Design! I really appreciate your assistance. I'll check it out.
    @mkroeker, thank you as well. I'll try to solve this at the pymol level.