Miniature sword charm help/suggestions.

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by mosst, Oct 8, 2012.

  1. mosst
    mosst New Member
    Hi, I'm new to Shapeways and 3D design in general and I'm looking for some advice.

    I'm currently editing a miniature sword in blender that I'm hoping to get printed in stainless steel + gold plating and attach it to a necklace.

    Having looked at the design guidelines I'd guess that the edges won't print correctly, though I'm not sure. Even if it did it would be too sharp for its purpose and it would reduce durability.

    As a workaround I've tried to thicken the model by 1mm all the way along as shown in the pictures. Having done this my model won't display correctly in the online viewer. I figure this is to do with a manifold issue that I've been unable to fix.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

    -Tom
     

    Attached Files:

  2. Fredd
    Fredd New Member
    What process did you use to thicken it. You could have created interior faces and edges which is a no no. Also check surface normals, make sure they are pointing in the right direction
    Keith
     
  3. mosst
    mosst New Member
    I extruded the top and side faces of the model upwards, which did create interior faces and edges. Though after a second attempt with some additional edits I've been able to successfully upload the model. But there's a portion of the model I want to create a dip in that is proving difficult.

    Is there a method of extruding in blender that moves the faces instead of copying them?
     

    Attached Files:

    Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
  4. Fredd
    Fredd New Member
    Well no, extrusion creates a set of new verts to manipulate. You could try the inset tool which actually just manipulates faces. If you are having problems extruding select all and remove doubles. That should help. If you have it in blender, here is a link where you can store the file, so others can look at it.
    http://www.pasteall.org/
     
  5. mosst
    mosst New Member
    Thanks, using the remove doubles tool has helped somewhat. I eventually managed to remove all the interior faces by using box select around the entire outside of the model and inverting my selection, then deleting the extra faces.

    My model now renders correctly and I just have to work on removing and adding some faces and extruding another part inwards (not related to my initial question), but I'm fairly sure I can figure it out.