Mesh / Honeycomb Effect

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by EdChamberlain, Jul 12, 2014.

1. EdChamberlain
    EdChamberlain New Member
  2. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    A lot of this depends upon what tool you are using and/or what tools you have access to.

At times, I have made models out of many (many) tiny segments and then welded them all together, at other times, I've done the exterior shell, then created a specialized part and subtracted it FROM the main shell. Both methods are viable.. it depends on the complexity you are after versus the tools you have available.

Subtract.jpg

Last edited: Jul 12, 2014
  3. EdChamberlain
    EdChamberlain New Member
    I've been using solidworks now for over two years and usually things like this are fairly straightforward and logical but this seems to be proving a problem. I understand the various way of creating the holes / removing the holes and the way you're image shows works perfectly on flat surfaces. The problem I am having however is that the surfaces I have created are far too complex for the methods you described.

Ill attach this link to another thread I found after posting this and have just commented on. I feel this thread would be a good place to continue the discussion as it is much more in depth.

https://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=19875 &start=0&

Ed.

4. JACANT
    JACANT Well-Known Member
  5. EdChamberlain
    EdChamberlain New Member
    I like the method using blender! I've never really gotten into blender, it doesn't run well on mac and i find it utterly frustrating that it can't follow the same guidelines that every other mac app uses. That said it does do a good job of creating the wireframe!