Math Art Sculptures

Discussion in 'My Work In Progress' started by dizingof, Sep 8, 2011.

1. dizingof
    dizingof New Member
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  2. dizingof
    dizingof New Member
  3. dizingof
    dizingof New Member
  4. dizingof
    dizingof New Member
  5. dizingof
    dizingof New Member
  6. henryseg
    henryseg Well-Known Member
    Very cool stuff. How do you make the network patterns on the surfaces? Are they derived from a lower resolution polygon mesh somehow?

7. dizingof
    dizingof New Member
    Much like the surface patterns on your designs :)

btw, your forum pic is a very cool seifert surface .

8. dizingof
    dizingof New Member
    By sheer coincidence, i read Duaan's blog today and saw that skull with the cool patterns...
    I then figured out another way to create patterns on a mesh..
    by using a texture projection method (Sketchup, zbrush) and with the use of meshlab's filters get this:

Arabesque Pendant

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Creativity is endless with this method - since i am not constrained to quads and triangles manipulation as seen on the models above
    - but with way more freedom of design using any texture possible.

(actually this is the second model i designed after reading Duaan's blog.. ;) the first was the Voronoi Sphere Pendant)

9. TurtlesAreCool
    TurtlesAreCool New Member
    dizingof,

I see the blog post, and I can imagine that the work required to do that manually would be crazy. I guess I assumed you were using custom algorithms to generate the meshes with holes in them.

This, if I understand correctly, is what I believe you are saying: You are using a texture to create the holes in the mesh, presumably with an alpha map. Instead of simply using the texture as a mesh displacement, you found a way to modify the mesh completely, then cleaned it up in Meshlab. Is that correct? Can you elaborate a little more? I would make patterns like what you do using NURBS curves, but it would take me quite a while with that method to replicate what you've done.

P.S. I don't know what your job is, but although I often have interesting problems to solve at my job, I do wish that I had a larger percentage of my day to work on these things. :D Your "Aldo" is awesome.

10. henryseg
    henryseg Well-Known Member
    So far, my patterns have all come from the parametrisation of the surface. Are yours (the earlier ones in the thread) from parameterising quads and triangles?

11. dizingof
    dizingof New Member
    TurtlesAreCool,

Basically it's all about the 3D tools you have and how learn to use them.
    I currently juggle between maybe 4-7 different 3d tools .

Only on the last model the Arabesque Pendant, i've used this texture idea.
    The rest is parametric modeling. (learned that too see the Decor::lighting thread)

Yes you are correct on your assumption - here is how i did it:
    project a texture , convert it to vertex colors, use filters to leave you only with the pattern as a mesh - smooth & refine it - then work on the final result with your 3d software.

As for time i spend on my designs , ask Virtox - he lives here !! ;)

@henryseg, yes.

12. dizingof
    dizingof New Member
  13. dizingof
    dizingof New Member
  14. dizingof
    dizingof New Member
  15. dizingof
    dizingof New Member
  16. dizingof
    dizingof New Member
  17. dizingof