Materials Change

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Mechanoid, May 9, 2018.

1. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    The glass was around as a maker material in 2012 or thereabouts. Coarse, opaque, limited geometry. Not everything was rosy back then, but at least it was a time where shapeways actually used both the forum and the blog for frequent updates on planned changes.

Now I am waiting for the brass to be renamed to "shiny metal", and silver to "bling bling"

Ontogenie and EvieL like this.
  2. kaadesign
    kaadesign Well-Known Member
    “Bling Bling“ ?
    Oh yes please!
    All the Rappers will buy my “bling bling“

3. MrNibbles
    MrNibbles Well-Known Member
    Maybe we could resurrect the Weekend Contest to rename all the materials. Weekend Contests were always fun!

4. kaadesign
    kaadesign Well-Known Member
    How about, to rename Ceramics: "WTF"?

5. MrNibbles
    Non-Versatile Heated Clay Bonded Particulate Unobtaniu...

Ontogenie likes this.
  6. JoyComplex
    JoyComplex Active Member
    The glass material was another ExOne offering. I heard from them that it was a major pain in the ass.

Ontogenie likes this.
  7. MrNibbles
    The glass only lasted two years here at Shapeways. Too small, too expensive, etc. It was also different from the new Form printer ceramic resin in that the glass was apparently melted within a powder bed that also served as the mold.

Speaking of eliminated materials I was looking through old forum threads and apparently alumide was discontinued one time in the distant past and returned in November of 2010. I guess 7 or 8 years was a good run for the material. I would have thought that would be a rock solid permanent material, but alas.

8. MadBikeSkills
    MadBikeSkills Well-Known Member
    You mean you guys didn't get the invite for the E-meet and greet with the new Shapeways CEO Greg Kress?

9. Ontogenie
    Ontogenie Well-Known Member
    You gotta love those Pldotdotdots. So flexible and so strong. :D

10. Ontogenie
    Ontogenie Well-Known Member
    Yes, a lot of us did. I got 3 separate invites. Apparently, I complain a lot. :p

11. MadBikeSkills
    MadBikeSkills Well-Known Member
    I should have used the sarcasm emoji. I assumed a lot of people got at least two one for the AM session and another for the PM session.

Ontogenie likes this.
  12. Vortical
    Vortical Well-Known Member
    The problem is a matter of caring. Thank you for broaching the topic. Caring costs. Where to most strategically endure those costs that can be born is t. I was a businessman dwelling among the low foothills of global economic power in Asia sometime in the previous millennium. I understand the dynamics driving such decision-making to an unusual degree.

The problem is not really our local CEO, it the rules established by law that lay down the incentives he pursues, and hence the sort of character that succeeds in that game. In short, if your rules are Shark Tank rules, then you get sharks in the game. Sharks don't care, and enjoy their contempt of those hapless mammals who do. We make such easy prey. The natural world in which we live has been poisoned by such rules. A million years after Fukushima archeologists will be able to date the day the true cost of the technology originally billed as "too cheap to meter" proved to be too dear to pay, that is to say if intelligent life on Earth persists nonetheless.

The nub seems to be that the rules as written dictate that CEOs are not beholden to the local communities in which they operate, but solely to the community of shareholders whose financial stake they have a fiduciary obligation to maximize, at the expense of any and all other entities, including the government that protects their mercantile activities, not to mention you and I, living breathing natural persons.

Corporations are "artificial persons" under the law, which, since the Citizens United decision by the Supreme Court about fifteen years ago, have enjoyed all the constitutional protections of natural persons like you and I. This is to say, Frankenstein's monster now owns the mortgage to Dr. Frankenstein's mansion, but has kept the good Dr. on as hired help.

In US history corporations were restricted by charter to specified time to exist and field of activity, and monitored by the local communities that chartered their existence. That was all changed when John D. Rockefeller bought congress in order to gain unlimited lifetime and scope of activity for that original corporate Frankenstein's monster, The Standard Oil Trust early in the Twentieth Century. That scope has steadily expanded. These soulless legal fictions that "have no soul to save and no body to jail" now have all the rights and privileges before the law of the natural persons they were created to serve, but they never sleep, they never die, they never stop eating, they never stop excreting, and their appetites never stop growing. Corporations are an example of the "Baobab Trees" that plagued a planet in St. Exupery's excellent tale "The Little Prince".

The CEO must systematically "externalize costs" in order to privatize profits. That is a euphemism for "take from the community and render unto your masters". This translates into the imperative: "Slave, go forth and steal for us". I repeat, this is not merely legally permitted, it is mandatory behavior.

Please, if you want an excellent crash course on the issue, please see the documentary "The Corporation", which makes a compelling case that corporations are legally constituted sociopaths. Last I saw it was available on Netflix.

The problem here is but a local expression of a global challenge. Shall we attempt a community consensus on how best to respond?

Last edited: May 19, 2018
  13. Vortical
    I am a huge fan of the porcelain. It has proven ideal for my oil lamp invention, and I was greatly impressed by the obvious care employed by the Shapeways staff in making come out so fantastically well - from what is in retrospect an embarrassingly bad model!

This points up the fact that every corporate CEO shark is kept afloat by a community of natural persons in their employ who care about their work. My hat is off to you folks on the shop floor. You made my dream come true. The one lamp I managed to make is burning before me on my desk as I type, and it gives me deep satisfaction far beyond its cost in time and treasure, and that is thanks to you fine people.

I sent an inquiry to Formlabs days ago but no reply...

14. Vortical
    I got it. I don't know if I'll reply.

{Edited}
    Paul Kress's response to my complaint about his evident bad faith was to invite us to hear more promises. No remorse. No remedy. This appears a thin attempt to "pop chaff" and divert discontent into an easily controllable private forum where he will be on advantaged ground.
    {End Edit}

I am interested in the chance to buttonhole such a creature and so I might just accept the invite anyway, but Inasmuch as bad faith is not cured by more bad faith, if I attend it will not be in the hopes of remedy.

I am eager to discover that Mr. Krees is not in fact such a creature, but until he troubles himself to offer due apology and remedy, I can only observe that his actions are consistent with those I have known.

{I have edited the above sensitive to the suggestion that I have strayed into a personal attack.}

15. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    No need to resort to personal insults just yet. It seems to be clear however that shapeways is not doing as well as its investors would like, and the new CEO - who does appear to be a stark outsider in the 3d printing business - looks to have been brought in to cut costs without mercy or sentimental regard for the past achievements of the company. (On the other hand, it is possible that the original founder-and-CEO may have spent big to make his dreams come true...).

It is hard to judge without knowing how dire the situation is, but from a customer viewpoint such unannounced, drastic (and w.r.t the materials renaming fairly pointless) changes make it almost irrelevant if the company in question is already going down or just struggling blindly.

16. Vortical
    Mr Kroeker, you have a point. Upon re view I have strayed from careful analysis of present evidence into ad hominem attack, which only lowers the level of discourse. I will edit. I offer my apologies to those concerned, to the extent they might care. Perhaps action will be taken to disabuse me of my misgivings. I'm not holding my breath, but one should be courteous even to crocodiles knowing with humility one might be mistaken.

The point stands that plans go south every day in the business world. There are suitable ways of dealing with the hard feelings engendered by broken hopes. It is a CEOs call whether they are worth the cost of learning and employing. The principle that all concerned should enjoy timely informed consent, when violated as it must sometimes be, calls for apology and at least a token of remedy. Shapeways has at least three times missed the opportunity to do so. Thus it appears to be an intentional cost-saving measure, that is, a cost being externalized onto the backs of the designers without informed consent.

The circle of respect makes a community strong. It can easily save a company like Shapeways. Break the circle, the community is gone, and Shapeways must then fail.

I love what Shapeways has done for my life. If I seem harsh, it is because the subject is precious to me.

Anyway, thank you sir for your caution.

[Edit] I have replied to Mr. Kress and invited him to the discussion here on this forum to clear up any unfortunate misunderstandings.

17. stannum
    stannum Well-Known Member
    As of 2015, "profit at any cost" is not the law. But sure is a nice excuse to raid and let others with the corpse. So rephrase the original idea, which could be wrong, and for sure is not law, and profit until the world burns. The law says the management must care about shareholders interests (different word than profits) and the corporation (low risk with X profit year after year is better than high risk 3X profit one year with high probabilities of bankruptcy the next, both for the shareholder and the corporation). Also in 30 states there are laws that go beyond that, and even the basic law talks about the corporation setting broad purposes.

Vortical likes this.
  18. MrNibbles
    It's only an assumption that they are making any kind of profit.

19. Bathsheba
    Bathsheba Well-Known Member
    How could I forget? Another noble experiment on the dustheap of history. I have some color glazed ones which I think are about the prettiest parts ever printed, but the stuff was too fragile and hard to print and expensive, and it had no application even aesthetically. Everyone wanted solid transparent voxel-colored glass, and this so wasn't that.

We wait in hope.

20. Blitza
    Blitza Active Member
    I am not going for the Greet and Meet at the 30 th since i am already give shit About Shapeways, if we all complain it will still Nothing Change and the fact that Shapeways will Die sooner or later cant be avoided by now..