Material Selection: Opaque object inside Transparent object

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by KrashTestDumby, Feb 23, 2013.

1. KrashTestDumby
    KrashTestDumby New Member
    Given: Using Blender (2.6x), exporting to .x3d format, model has been uploaded and accepted. For simplicity sake, let's say I have an opaque sphere (purple) inside a transparent cube (in Blender Alpha is set to 0.1).

Question: When ordering, do I select "Transparent Detail," and will only the cube be transparent, or will both objects be transparent, but the sphere will be a transparent shade of purple? Or do I order one of the other materials, and the cube will be transparent but cloudy?

Thanks!

2. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Sorry, this will probably not work. There is no multi-material combination in a single print with the machines and materials that
    shapeways offers.
    The only material where color information has any meaning - "full color sandstone" - cannot be made transparent as it is based on gypsum powder, and the "transparent" acrylic material cannot be colored during printing. Also, chances are that your enclosed sphere is simply optimized away by the shapeways software.
    The only thing that comes close to your idea would be to add a very small hole that connects the sphere to the outside of the cube, so that it forms a hollow area that gets filled with the milky-white support material during printing with one of the transparent materials - or use one or two bigger holes so that the support material can be removed, and color the inner surface with diluted acrylic paint if you want it to be any color other than white. Also note that the "transparent" material will require some polishing to actually become transparent.

3. KrashTestDumby
    KrashTestDumby New Member
    Ah. After reading your response, I went back and took a closer look at all the pretty multicolored puzzles, etc. Got it! The pictures aren't how the model comes out of the printer, they're pictures of the model after someone has applied stickers, paint, or models made-up of like-colored pieces printed in groups of printings and brought together into a complete model.

Thanks for setting me straight!