Material Price Increase?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by lhandley, Jul 26, 2018.

1. MitchellJetten
    MitchellJetten Shapeways Employee CS Team
    You can find the 3D Tools here @higgscc :
    upload_2018-8-8_11-1-2.png

There you can set the orientation for Versatile Plastic and Fine Detail Plastic

2. dmorley123
    dmorley123 Member
    Terrible price increase! I have designs that are unique to each order. My old designs are not relevant.

Time to look at other vendors. competitive service looks better now.

3. DoctorOctoroc
    DoctorOctoroc Well-Known Member
    Yeah, I just opened a new shop with 104 stock elements all meant to work with each other. I've been building up the anticipation for a month on FB with marketing and potential customer interaction, spent hundreds of hours creating all the models. I put minimal markups because the full assembly of whatever combination of parts my customers choose will have some customization required but now any new models will be a much higher price than the current ones so that's going to eat into my modeling fee I charge them for the custom parts - or I'll have to try and explain to them why on top of paying me to build the part how they want it, it will costs more with no markup than the stock part with one.

Really glad I spent a month of my life putting this project together just so it could fail miserably because Shapeways likes to make drastic, nonsensical changes on a whim. Seriously, they're destroying trust, removed transparency completely and are showing many of us to the door.

highwingpilot and Spitfire2865 like this.
  4. tars
    tars Member
    Yep I did the math and ill probably be buying a Prusa MK3, between my orders and sub-contracting large orders for other local customers, I can make more money that way. Looking into a SLS machine as well as I think I have the local demand for that, no other maker in the state is listing a SLS machine on any service right now.

5. reducedAircraftFactory
    reducedAircraftFactory Well-Known Member
    While gone are the days when Shapeways told us how the prices were calculated (whether we designers think that wise or not), it sure would be nice to get some official announcement when the prices change. It can be done in a neutral way without any actual pricing details. For example, "we have adjusted the prices of dyed versatile plastic to better reflect our production costs."

Or -- if they're not changing and there was just a glitch on the website -- it would be nice to know that as well, so that no one takes unnecessary action based on "faulty data".

6. ob_dev_s99
    ob_dev_s99 Member
    I maintain several shapeways accounts to separate projects. I've noticed massive price differences between accounts for the same model. One small parts costs £1.50 on one account and £7.20 on another. Maybe they're trying out different pricing structures?

7. MrNibbles
    MrNibbles Well-Known Member
    They do seem to be on a tear to speed up the processing time of renders, checking, etc. after upload. It is possible that in order to simplify that development they are temporarily using a super simple pricing algorithm, such as bounding box, in the newer or test accounts. In order to not lose money they simply chose some price that would guarantee a profit. They can always change that in the future or offer it as a parallel pricing structure for industrial accounts.

The traditional pricing method may not be the best fit for corporate accounts. They would likely expect a multi-part discount program or a purchase-some-space-on-our-printers program. Being able to purchase a standardized volume of the print block sets a definite price for whatever you can cram into the box. It also makes things a bit easier for SW to break out the parts, possibly in a type of sinter box, and distribute them to various customers. Just a theory folks!

8. akashi1
    akashi1 Member
    The price of the same model costed 150 three weeks ago and now its up to 240$. Its so disappointing