Market Place Practically Invisible From Home Page

Discussion in 'Bug Reporting' started by replicaprops, Jun 24, 2020.

1. replicaprops
    replicaprops Member
    Goto the shapeways home page. Where is the link to market place? i'll wait.
    Hint, its all the way at the bottom where customer will never look. How the hell am I supposed to get sales if the market place is hidden?

2. SemperVaporo
    SemperVaporo Well-Known Member
    You can click on the shopping cart icon in the upper right corner and you'll find a link to the MarketPlace there, too.

I guess there is some sort of analogy to going to a physical grocery store, the first thing you do is get a shopping cart, then you start shopping, but that sure is not the logic used by the majority of on-line stores... the cart is assumed to be in your hands before you get to the market to start putting things in it and you only click the cart icon when you are ready to check out.

3. replicaprops
    replicaprops Member
    It's crazy. When a customer comes to shapeways for the first time, they are met with what appears to be a 3d printing company who has no physical products for sale, just services.

4. Model_Monkey
    Model_Monkey Well-Known Member
    Some shops have good sales success by advertising and selling off-site.

If you aren't already doing so, consider creating your own website and catalog. Advertise directly to the market(s) you are trying to reach. Leverage Wix, Etsy, Facebook, Twitter, etc.. Use those services to help drive potential customers here to make the sale.

5. replicaprops
    replicaprops Member
    Yeah, not at all what I asked to be fixed. I already send my customers here from my website. Shapeways has an obligation to also at least try and make me sales. With cutting off metal production for nearly 4 months now and not even having a front end devoted to people like me and selling my and your products, It makes me wonder if the staff at shapeways are even there anymore.

6. Greaseball
    Greaseball Well-Known Member
    I assume they lose less money with non-marketplace activities such as design services, industrial jigs and fixtures, contract work to churn out hundreds to thousands of components for small run manufacturers, etc.

7. TrentTroop
    TrentTroop Well-Known Member
    Even if that's the case a marketplace button would not alter that. Or even a marketplace.shapeways.com devoted URL.

8. SemperVaporo
    You can always provide this to customers: https://www.shapeways.com/marketplace

9. replicaprops
    replicaprops Member
    What about customers who type in shapeways.com because they were told they could shop there? Then they get presented with a home page that is totally contrary to a shopping site, and appears to be a B2B site only and not a consumer site.

10. SemperVaporo
    I absolutely agree with you. The home page should have a PROMINENT link for customers of the individual shops. I was just pointing out that there is a URL direct to the marketplace, it just has the name on the back end instead of the front.

11. barkingdigger
    barkingdigger Well-Known Member
    There used to be a prominent "search" box - you can blame the Kress administration for hiding it in their drive to turn SW away from the hobby market so they can concentrate on the big-order market. I can't see how they'll get enough business that way since big companies can buy their own machines, or can drive down the costs on big orders to the point where SW profit margin is squeezed out. Tempting to become a shareholder just to get a peek at the real figures...

12. adbinc
    adbinc Well-Known Member
    There used to be a search button until Covid-19. I wonder if their banner about that made the space disappear. At least the Marketplace is now available under Solutions.

Placing the "Shop the Marketplace" button under the shopping cart I find counter-intuitive. The only good thing about it is that a customer who is totally lost might mouse across everything on the top line hoping to find someplace to shop.

To compensate for the missing link on Shapeways, we release once a month and start publicizing our release the week before. After the release we push out publicity about what we released along with a link to our shop. That publicity goes on our forums, our page on Facebook, fan pages on Facebook, and to other forums that might find the minis to be of interest. Our sales have not recovered to where they were prior to the huge price increase that hit us for the Fine Detail Plastic materials, but the numbers are now slowly climbing from what they were a year ago for the most part.

13. gordonlardi
    gordonlardi Well-Known Member
    drink more beer!!!!!!

14. ComradeWave
    ComradeWave Active Member
    It's been immensely slow ever since the price increases. I don't think sales are ever going to go back to what they were two years ago.