Many questions from a 1st time user

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by frank26080115, Sep 28, 2011.

1. frank26080115
    frank26080115 New Member
    This will be my first time getting something made with 3D printing.

My design is basically a electronics enclosure, it will have buttons which will also be 3D printed

The material I will choose will probably be the black detailed plastic

I did consider another company, they had a minimum volume requirement that made it annoying to create buttons. Do you have any such requirements?

I am using SolidWorks. Which axis do I need to specify as the vertical axis? Or is this determined by your machine automatically?

Is the volume of the design calculated using the amount of model material or the model material plus the supporting material? If it is the combination of the two, is it possible to optimize the cost by putting multiple designs into one file in a compact way?

Is it better to upload each solid object as a single file? Or can I combine all the solid bodies into one file?

Thank you.

2. pfeiffer stylez
    pfeiffer stylez New Member
    Depending on the grade of detail you want/need, and the volume of your model, I would suggest to think about "polished White, Strong & Flexible" (respectively the black dyed pendant)... it might be cheaper, and would also offer better mechanical characteristics...

The minimum dimensions are regulated by the material that you want... but take a look at this (e.g.) ^^

Don't worry about that, they'll determinate the axis.

Only the amount of the model material.

Today ('til 30.09.) it won't make a difference (in your prefered material, BlackDetail)... but due to the the new price structure ex 1.10. there'll be a $2.50 "handling fee" (per file) for BlackDetail... as long as they don't refuse your file, you should try to order your model in one file...

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  3. frank26080115
    frank26080115 New Member
    Thanks for the quick reply, I've changed my material choice to the strong flexible plastic and placed my order.

You guys are significantly cheaper than the other company.