magnetic objects

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kiorodesign, May 16, 2012.

1. kiorodesign
    kiorodesign Well-Known Member
  2. GlenG
    GlenG New Member
    The SS component of the print media is alloy 420 stainless, which unlike 300 series alloys can be magnetized. Printed parts are processed in controlled atmosphere electric furnaces.The heating coil arrangement in these furnaces is circular array. Like a coil surrounding the batch of parts during operation. This might be the source of parts becoming magnetic. Usually this is almost in-detectable in a given part. Your video of those "propellers" is quite remarkable actually! Probably some Big Science going on but I sure can't explain it.
    -G

3. kiorodesign
    kiorodesign Well-Known Member
    thanks for the very detailed technical explanation...
    Ciro

4. GlenG
    GlenG New Member
    Kioro,
    Just a guess, probably not the whole story. Most parts do not come out magnetized like your turbine design. This would make a nice science project for some brainiac :D

-G

5. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    Is it that 'Shapeways produce magnetic odjects' or is it that Shapeways produce objects have the properties to infulence the Earth's magnetic field?

:laughing:

6. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    To influence the magnetic field of the EARTH.. you'd need a printer with a slightly larger build volume.

7. Wow that video is really cool!
    So, is it the turbine shape that made the print come out magnetic?
    Will it happen again if you order other print of the same model, or was it a one time fluke?

8. GlenG
    GlenG New Member
    Good question Mary. The phenomena is unintentional, we would probably need and expert in electromagnetics to explain it.
    -G

9. ggurov
    ggurov New Member
    what would be a case where having an SS part be magnetized, even slightly, be detrimental ? i could see not wanting various pieces be magnetized if you work around computer parts, especially hard drives, but the magnetic field would have to be quite a bit bigger there to do any kind of damage.

10. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Shapeways Employee Community Team
    Or a man and a wench http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coral_Castle

Back on topic, could it be caused by polishing, sanding of sprues?

11. lensman
    lensman Well-Known Member
    I have magnetized my stainless steel pieces when polishing them... and part of the process involved using a stainless steel brush in a Dremel...

Glenn

12. GlenG
    GlenG New Member
    Yah that could definitely do it. Even on a piece of plain steel friction can induce magnetic properties. This is very slight but observable. It's generally not a problem and can be reversed with the use of a de-magnetizing tool.
    -G