Looking For Help With Mold Making

Discussion in 'Finishing Techniques' started by andrw_lngfllw, Apr 12, 2018.

1. andrw_lngfllw
    andrw_lngfllw Member
    Hey guys,

I've printed my case design twice with elasto plastic and the strong and flexible material. Neither have the finish I would like so I was thinking of other ways to make my case. I was hoping someone on here would be able to point me in the right direction for making molds and material choice.

Am I able to 3d print a mold? If so what material to print the mold out of? How should I design my mold?

What material should I make the case out of? I want something grippy and durable. Something that has a good finish would be perfect.

I have no idea where to start for this. Let me know if you can help. Thanks!

2. Shea_Design
    Shea_Design Well-Known Member
    You may have to work with a positive so that you can sand and finish the case, FUD for example. Then you could make an RTV negative (aka mold) and pour various resins, urethanes, vinyls, etc. When the silicone molds wears out you can make another from the finished master. You can find good videos showing these techniques, some with sources. Good luck! -S

3. andrw_lngfllw
    andrw_lngfllw Member
    Thanks for the information. Do you have any suggestions on a specific material to use for the case?

4. Shea_Design
    Shea_Design Well-Known Member
    No but many videos feature various materials and sources. Of course you would ideally have orders or be comfortable with self funding before going down that road. -S