Linking A Shapeway Shop Whith Etsy

Discussion in 'Shapeways Shops' started by sexyprints, May 11, 2017.

1. sexyprints
    sexyprints Member
    Hi there
    I am woundering how to open a shop in ETSY and having shapeways as a production partner.

The idea is that an order coming through my ETSY shop would be passed on to shapeways
    BUT ETSY needs its share...

I have looked arround in the forum and got following answer:

" you would need to get them approved as a production partner for your shop. There is no interface between Etsy and shapeways so you'd need to do a swivel chair process.
    Customers would buy and pay on Etsy. Etsy takes their cut from that payment, then you would need to replicate the order on the shapeways site, pay shapeways, and update the ship to address to be the customers address.
    You would get your money from Etsy and you would pay shapeways yourself. "

is there no other way?

Here the link to thread to my question on ETSY
    https://www.etsy.com/de/teams/7718/questions/discuss/18362399/page/1?post_id=361334856

Hope someone has an idea, would be great also on other platforms also...
    thks

2. wgseligman
    wgseligman Well-Known Member
    The "swivel" is how I do it. You can find a discussion here: https://www.shapeways.com/forum/t/s...ed-goods-on-etsy-double-shipping.28397/page-2 (though this is not the only Etsy/Shapeways discussion on these forums).

To set this up, just follow Etsy's instructions to make Shapeways a partner for your shop. You'll basically have to write a brief essay on what Shapeways does and how you work with them. Once Etsy gives their approval, Shapeways will be listed as a "Production partner" on your Etsy page.

In order to get my orders out to my customers faster, I maintain a separate bank account with a "buffer" to support my Etsy orders. A customer orders on Etsy, and I immediately place a corresponding order on Shapeways to be sent to them, paying Shapeways out of the buffer account. As I discuss in the linked forum, I use a "shopper" account to place the order, so the correct amount of taxes are paid on my markup. Eventually Etsy pays me the money the customer paid, and Shapeways sends me my markup, and I put both into the buffer account. In the long run I make a profit on each item I sell.

This works for me because I only get an order every couple of weeks, so entering the address into Shapeways for each Etsy customer is not too tedious. If you want sales more often than that, then you'll have to get speedy with cut-n-paste. An alternative would be to find ways to promote your Shapeways shop outside of Etsy. If you figure out a way to do that, let us know!

sexyprints likes this.
  3. wgseligman
    I just looked at the Etsy discussion you linked. Evidently you don't have to write a "production partner" essay anymore.

4. Ontogenie
    Ontogenie Well-Known Member
    That's right. No essay necessary, you just need to indicate that Shapeways is your production partner.

sexyprints likes this.
  5. sexyprints
    sexyprints Member
    Hi
    Yes this is one Way.
    At least i could try out if products are working at etsy..
    Basically it would be easyer if the order from etsy would go directly to SW as well as payement and SW makes payment share back to etsy.. would need an interface from SW ... Maybe in future?

Thanks wgseliman for the comments and tip about shopper account.. i have already 2 accounts so this will help

as for promoting i am using facebook.
    https://www.facebook.com/Sexyprints-1673360686303100/

Till now no feedback but as i am new this doesnt surprise.

I had printed a few myself but had to update them so they again are first to buy..i will reorder and complete the shop whith pics soon.
    And then proceed whith etsy..

i am wondering if there are people who have success whith their shop on whith webpage and SW?

Its immensly time consuming would be nice to be able to concentrate only on designing..

Sorry for my englisch
    Thanks
    Marcel

6. sexyprints
    sexyprints Member
    thanks
    May i ask a personal question?
    Is your shop working well?
    Do you do extra promotions whitin SW?

7. sexyprints
    sexyprints Member
    thanks
    May i ask a personal question?
    Is your shop working well?
    Do you do extra promotions whitin SW?

8. sexyprints
    sexyprints Member
    Sorry i just posted twice the same.. whith mobile not easy . :-(

9. Ontogenie
    Ontogenie Well-Known Member
    I'm happy with my Etsy sales at the moment. I sell more on Etsy than SW, I think because Etsy is a better-known marketplace. I promote mainly on Instagram, Twitter and FB, but a lot of my Etsy sales arise from completely organic searches...people who haven't seen me on social media but did a search on Etsy and found what they were looking for, which tells you that Etsy SEO is very important to success.

Have fun and good luck!

sexyprints likes this.
  10. sexyprints
    sexyprints Member
    Thanks a lot for your clear descriptions abd inputs..
    Greetings
    Marcel

11. wgseligman
    Hi Marcel,

First, I'll point you to at least one forum thread on marketing your Shapeways shop elsewhere on these forums. That's probably not the only thread, but it's the one I participated in.

Second, the reality is that if you want to be more than a hobbyist (which is what I am), then promoting your shop is part of the process. It's a process in which I have little skill, which is why I'm still a hobbyist.

To answer your question: My shop does about 1-2 sales per month, mostly through Etsy sales. I assume the rest are coming from my Facebook page to order directly on Shapeways. If you look at that thread I linked, you'll see that the people who responded did not get much of a result from Facebook.

So I guess the message is: Make the effort to get on Etsy. Your work is more likely to be found there.

12. Nickola
    Nickola Well-Known Member
    Hi, I'm interested also to sell on Etsy my stuff (i'm a Shapeways Shop owner). Do you a stock or you advertise the renderings on Etsy? Do you paid something to open your shop on Etsy? Thank you very much in advance for your reply.

13. FerretDesigns
    FerretDesigns Active Member
    I use etsy far more than shapeways partly to have an extra stage of quality control (it's been needed too!).
    The only way to do it is to order stock yourself to ship out to your customers.

I tend to...

1) Buy in stock when I can to have on hand, list these on etsy as ready to ship. This listing has just one finish on it, the finish that is in stock.

2) Make a listing for each item that is a custom order listing, stating that it'll take 2-3 weeks for it to be posted out to them as it has to be made. This listing has options for ALL finishes available in that design, so the customer can pick the right one and I can charge them correctly.

3) If a customer contacts me via FB and they are based in the USA (I am UK), if I do not have the item in stock I let them know they can buy it from my shapeways store and have it shipped right to them (without and finishes like chains and the gift boxes I tend to send with them)

In good months on ETSY I'll have about 20 sales of my shapeways items. In bad months it's about 3...
    I didn't sell anything much on shapeways market place til xmas, than suddenly have 5 orders! And now I only get sales via shapeways when I send people to my store directly. This is partly because I'd prefer people to come via my etsy store.

14. Nickola
    So I have to have a stock! I cannot sell via renderings?

15. Nickola
    do you sell on Etsy? how many and how often?

16. Nickola
    sorry to many questions i have... can i upload ony renderings on etsy? how much does it cost to upload smething and sell it on etsy(i live in greece)

17. Nickola
    So potentially I could sell renderings if I don't want to have a stock!

18. FerretDesigns
    You CAN sell items with pictures that are just renderings yes, but I find the ones that sell best in my store are ones that I have proper pictures of (understandably!). I have a few items up in my etsy store right now that are renders only.

You items do not have to be in stock but you have to tell customers how long it will take to be made and sent to them. If you do not have it in stock then when a customer orders it...YOU order it from shapeways, have it delivered to yourself THEN send it to the customer. So have a lead time of 2-3 weeks.

I do sell on etsy.
    I am www.fuzzbumdesigns.etsy.com
    Me saying how many and how often isn't that helpful as we are totally different styles. I am a niche shop selling mostly ferret and rat themed items. But I sell anywhere between 3 and 25 pieces a month.

Do some research into etsy stores, that's your best bet.
    Each listing costs $0.20 to add, but then they take a percentage of the total. This percentage is dependent on how the customer pays. If they pay via paypal it is one percentage and another by credit card etc. On average it's between 4-6% but can be as much as 10% when you take into account fees and everything like that. Basically price your items up by 10% to cover the fees. It's cheaper than ebay and amazon handmade.

19. Nickola
    so in the final Shapeways price (including my fee) I must add 10% and the shipping costs from Shapeways to you and from you to the customer

20. FerretDesigns
    Look
    Here is an example
    If YOU normally have to pay $15 for a piece, but want a mark up of 100%, you'd be selling it at $30.
    Because etsy would take up to 10% add another 10% to your price and make it $31.50
    Just as an example. You add postage costs to the customer as a separate thing.

The $31.50 above isn't taking into account the shipping cost from shapeways to you. What you do about that is down to you. I tend to add a little bit into the shipping costs on etsy (if it costs me $10 to post to the customer make it $15 to include packaging and absorb some of the cost of you having to order from shapeways.

When a customer orders something from me and I order it from shapeways I will always add in as many other pieces as i can afford to have stock on hand for any other customers.