Lightwave VRML export

Discussion in 'Software and Applications' started by StephenTarheel, May 20, 2010.

1. Good morning!

I tried uploading VRML files created with lightwave last night/this morning and I keep getting the "
    The fileformat of your object cannot be processed by our software. Please investigate the problem and try again. " error message. Originally I thought this was due to not using a JPG for the texture file, I've corrected that and used both the embedded and non-embedded options for exporting the VRML file.

Does anyone have experience exporting VRML files from Lightwave and might know what's going on?

Thanks!

-Stephen

2. virtox
    virtox Active Member Moderator
    Good morning !

I don't really know lightwave, but you can download the free Meshlab and use it to check out the vrml file.

Basically vrml is a textfile so you can also use a text-editor to see if anything looks weird.

Cheers,

Stijn

3. bitstoatoms
    bitstoatoms Member
    Hi there,

I also have not tried exporting with lightwave,
    but make sure the file is version .97 or version 2

version 1 does not work.

with 3DS Max you have to ensure that the image file used to map the image is in the same folder as the VRML file, that you then zip together to upload to Shapeways

I hope this helps..

cheers

Duann

4. ChrisWilmer
    ChrisWilmer Member
    I got that error a few times when, believe it or not, parts of the mesh were intersecting... which has nothing to do with the file format at all!!!

So, it's probably a problem with the actual model, rather than the file format. That's my guess!