Largest 3d Prints?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by patmat2350, Sep 30, 2016.

1. patmat2350
    patmat2350 Well-Known Member
    What's the biggest widget to be assembled from Shapeways parts? And the biggest single parts?

Here's my entry-- a three piece hull for a model ship. It includes internal mounting features and stiffeners, much like you'd expect with an injection molded plastic model. Many large model ships are built on fiberglass hulls- usually nice on the outside, but with no internal features or datums, making the rest of the build difficult.

aDSC_0229.JPG a20160930_180631.jpg

NoahLI likes this.
  2. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    Look at the Max Bounding Box on the Material pages such as https://www.shapeways.com/materials/strong-and-flexible-plastic?li=nav Each printer (material) has different limits.

In the case of WSF, you can go as large as 650×350×550mm with a single piece. With steel, you can go to 762×393×393mm

There's no reason you can't assemble say 1000 separate pieces into a LARGE ship... assuming that you have the budget for it.

3. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    It can't be really big if it did not prompt shapeways to change their pricing :D
    Suspect biggest print by dimensions could still be dotsan's wireframe stag head sculpture of about 2-3 years ago, or one of the 3d printed fashion dresses. Time for a big things thread ? (I'm a miser, my biggest print still fits on a hand)

4. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Maybe something like the dresses that are folded in the bed, and unfold when pulled out. So, you could tightly pack a chain, and when cleaned it could extend pretty far.