Jewelry Designers

Discussion in 'Other Interest Groups' started by EleanorW, Aug 4, 2014.

1. hongchen
    hongchen Member
    I like the hearts most. Are you going to print it in other material?

2. Daphne
    Daphne Well-Known Member
    Great designs! I love the brass product!

3. numarul7
    numarul7 Well-Known Member
    @hongchen I`ll enable all metals on them , they pass the "designer" quality check.
    @daphne That one took near 3 months in development! o_O My head still hurts from it!

4. numarul7
    A little update , I have uploaded and enabled the models on the shop. :) Working on others now. :D

5. numarul7
    One of the latest products

DSC_0026.JPG

6. energywave
    energywave Member
    Hello everybody, I would only say that I'm of yours too.
    Let's be clear: I'm a newbie compared to all of you but I like the idea to design some jewelry so I'm experimenting and doing that more as a game than as a serious thing. It's interesting and fun so I'm doing it in my (short) spare time.

I previously had occasion to give my appreciations to Daphne designs but I'm impressed about her way to create products, using a real pencil! I'm too lazy to do that :D
    Great works all of you! I like mostly Daphne's tie pin, hongchen's nautilus shell and numarul7's Taurean Love.
    Regarding that last, I'm looking to order some Polished Brass of my designs too because seems very nice results and the price is lower than other semi precious materials.
    To show you one of my works I've attached my best seller :)

[​IMG]

I have a question to all of you: what do you think is better for jewelry models, to give a wide choice of materials, including cheap ones or to choose 3 or 4 materials that are better representing how you imagine your objects?
    In my models I've chosen the first approach to give a wide choice of prices but I'm not convinced at all that's a good way (even because I'm selling nothing, if you don't count the attached keychain and the related pendant).
    I'm convinced that less options is a better commercial strategy but, for me, 3D printing is all about customization so it would be a pity to lose materials choice...

Happy designs to all!

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
  7. numarul7
    Go for metals and only finished ones that means excluding steel ... it make jewelery look cheap. Use it only if you plan for things that must look very old. And use only gold plated.

Raw brass/Polished brass/Plated is minimum in jewelry.

Yet for some designs that you can use SLS plastic too , like some pendants , necklaces and stuff where color can be a factor of design.

And if you want to learn to draw , have a buy at : Ernest R. Norling - Perspective made easy http://www.amazon.com/Perspective-Made-Easy-Dover-Instructio n/dp/0486404730 Andrew Loomis - Fun with a pencil http://www.amazon.com/Fun-Pencil-Andrew-Loomis/dp/0857687603 /ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1424294190&sr=1- 1&keywords=fun+with+a+pencil

Learning to draw it is fundamental for : jewelry , sculpture , architectural-sculpture-abstract (including art-deco and other non functional stuff) , general product design.

"learning to draw" in the meaning of drawing your idea on paper in 3D and think in 3D aka perspective drawing -> fundamental skill that enable the artist to adapt to any medium.

Took me 3 year for me to learn to draw by myself before learning the 3D software (another 2 years) , and still I`m not a the greatest level in drawing (or maybe i just push myself for more :))) ).

Learning to draw can take 1000 drawings ...then another rounds ... heh still drawing my jewelry on mighty paper with the mighty pen. 3D software it is the finishing stuff.

:)

8. energywave
    energywave Member
    Hey, numarul7, thank you for the precious advices and the books that you recommended me. I've got your point of view about materials and that was exactly what I suspected was the right way to do (less materials).
    And I've got your point even on good finished materials, even if some rough surfaces, like steel, are fascinating and can be good for man jewels, IMHO...

But I think you've not got my point of view (my fault for sure!): I don't pretend to be or become in the future a talented jewels designer as you all are for sure. I'm a programmer, that's my work and my passion. There I'm a real expert. But from when I was a child (I'm 36 years now) I'm fascinated by 3D technologies and I like to model in 3D. I began with Autocad for DOS, and it was a lot different from today :) Of course 3D printing resulted very attractive to me...
    That said, I understand your feeling about to draw on paper. I'm sure they teach it in design schools too. But, again, I don't pretend to be as good as you, I like to draw in 3D, following my imagination. And it's wonderful to have in hands the real product that I first imagined, then drawn (in 3D) and rendered!
    I sell them not as a work but as a chance that other people will like what I did for pure passion in my spare time (and some of them are gift to my wife :) ). If no one will buy other things I'll not be angry ;) I know my limits.
    But a try is worth my time, it's fun, I order my models and I'm happy to receive them. When someone buy my objects I'm even more happy. That's all.
    Hope to not have hurted your sense of professionality. I know that to be a pro you have to study (not necessarily at school...), work hard and try 1000 times, fail, try again, fail and finally win.

However maybe I can be of some value in this community, I can have good ideas even if I don't draw on paper :)

9. numarul7
    I see steel more fit for designs inspired by mythology or something related to it, to give that old look.

10. Silvergence_Karen
    Silvergence_Karen Active Member
    I don't really want to contradict a designer whose 3d design skills outclass mine by miles, but I believe this is more a question of marketing. So I will leave my comfort zone and add my opinion from a different perspective. My thinking is that when I first found SW I reveled in scrolling through the pages of innovative, unique jewelry designs and salivated over so many pieces I coveted but simply couldn't afford. That was the reality check that caused me to investigate the possibilities of designing in 3d and joining SW in the first place. I'm not proficient in 3d design by any means but after a couple of years and hours of designing and purchasing prototypes I have some pieces I feel are worthy to offer for sale and just recently opened an actual shop on SW. What I don't forget is the fact that there were so many items I would have purchased on that very first visit to SW if I could have afforded them. That's why I think offering lesser materials like WSF & BSF is a good marketing strategy if nothing else. I also beg to differ with the assumption that only GUYS prefer plain old Stainless Steel because this tiny, very feminine woman adores it if it's done right! IF I could go on a dig and unearth an ancient jewelry relic with the look of 'plain old stainless steel' I would probably faint, so if a design reflects that esthetic you'd have me hooked. <br>
    Though I agree limiting the material offerings is a good idea, I don't think allowing the CUSTOMER the option of purchasing an inexpensive version as a TRIAL purchase is a bad idea. It COULD even generate two sales down the road.<br>
    Thinking back to my first SW visit, IF I could have purchased inexpensive versions of some of the items I fell in love with, I probably would have hit PayPal hard that day, but that's just my humble opinion!<br>
    I believe we need to wear 'different hats' when deciding on what we offer for sale and how we deliver those offerings in our shops. I know for a fact that I can promote just about anything other than 'myself' well when it comes to advertising; promoting 'ME' – not so much! You must remove your "Designer" hat when thinking about your shop and your offering selections because that takes you right out of your comfort zone as a creative artist! Don't be afraid of asking for help in the marketing and advertising aspects of your SW shop because as designers and artists that is not our forte!

11. Daphne
    Daphne Well-Known Member
    I agree with that. I like to offer models in stainless steel if possible. It's way more affordable and allows different parts in one file. I've been working on a clasp (not really jewelry, I know) and selling such in cast metal is impossible since it are two different parts.

12. numarul7
    Waiting for a package , gonna post when arrive. :)

13. numarul7
    New arrival

qeensnestC.jpg

14. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
    Looking good numarul7! :D

15. silverspectre
    silverspectre Member
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  16. halcyonflow
    halcyonflow Member
    That's very cool numarul7,

Is that premium silver? It's a very attractive design too.

My there are some capable people here. I just thought I would throw my hat into the ring and see if I could get some feedback.

I'm pretty new to shapeways, just recently opened a shop selling historical sword jewelry. I've uploaded 4 pendants so far, and am waiting for my first purchase to arrive so I can take photos.

So, swords as jewelry, does it work? I've tried very hard to proportion them appropriately (so they're not ginormous, too long, and/or dangerous), and I am hoping they will work for men, women, and geeks (the third gender).

I'm still working out materials (I've currently only got precious metals for sale, but might consider opening up the semi-precious also). The models are too delicate for steel at their current size it seems, unfortunately.

Ummm. Yeah, so any thoughts? Sorry to just barge in like this, but it seems most people here have a good sense of taste and plenty of useful opinions!

Here's a piccy (rendered) of my most recent model: The Shogun

The Shogun - Render - Silver.jpg

Talk about overdramatic flamboyance...

Thanks in advance everyone!

hal

Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
  17. seriaforma
    seriaforma Well-Known Member
    I think swords as jewelry is a good idea. Post the pics when they arrive -- the render looks great!

18. halcyonflow
    halcyonflow Member
    Thanks seriaforma. I hope it's a good idea... though I wonder how restricted to hardcore geeky types it might be, or whether they might be a little more generally wearable.

I'll post a few pics as they become available.

hal

19. numarul7
    Gold plated 18k brass , but premium silver looks the same. Process it is identical to cast metals. The only difference it is the metal used.

20. halcyonflow
    halcyonflow Member
    Hi peeps,

I received my first jewelry print in the mail today. Hooray! I thought (on seriaforma's prompting) I would share the good, and the not so good, about this print, plus some photos. Note they're just quick shots taken on my mobile camera (I won't be uploading these to my store), but I think they still look ok.

Here are a few shots (one at a time as per post limitations). This one is of The Footman's Blade, my first model and print.

Shot 1 of 4:

Footman's Blade - 1.jpg

Last edited: Apr 13, 2015