it arrived in Sinter Boxes !

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by tebee, Jan 21, 2012.

1. tebee
    tebee Well-Known Member
    I've heard that Shapeway's often put boxes round things that contain multiple parts but was quite surprised when my latest with the stuff still inside the boxes !

View attachment 13692

The box consists of a 2mm square section of WSF on 16.5 mm centrers with a label on one side showing the order details.

IMG_7209.JPG

Subsequently got an email from Nancy to say this was something they are testing to avoid parts getting lost in processing and packing. Seems like a fun idea to me, now all I need to do is workout what I can use these boxes for....

Tom

2. Wahtah
    Wahtah Well-Known Member
    so.... what's the stuff?

3. aeron203
    aeron203 New Member
    Interesting. Can you tell us the dimensions of the boxes and maybe show the original parts? I know Magics has this auto-generated box function, but I am wondering how efficient it is. Did you nest the parts yourself or just order multiple copies?

I'm also wondering how the grid size is chosen. Just using a minimum bounding box would not guarantee pieces can't escape so it's a tough problem, mathematically. The bars seem thick, too. I'll just have to order some little parts and examine one for myself.

4. tebee
    tebee Well-Known Member
    The size of the boxes varies to fit the items it contains - typical size for my items is 50 x 70 x 140 mm.

They are from STL that contain multiple duplicates of the same item - the bulk packs for my own use which I then dye, breakdown into pairs and sell in my Ebay store. They are Model Railroad trucks(bogies), this is one of them.

IMG_7216.JPG

5. woody64
    woody64 Well-Known Member
    Cool, wouldn't that solve the multiple parts problem.

x parts of the same material (to be defined by shapeways) can be combined in a sinter box thus reducing the handling fee but adding some material costs (for the sinter).

also the puzzle problem would be solveable in that way.

also a possibility would be to allow a model ordered x times. the price is then automatically calculated:
    1x handling fee + n x model volume price + sinter box price

woody64

6. Jettuh
    Jettuh Well-Known Member
    Woody, it sound easy the way you tell it :D

unfortunately, normally we open the sinter boxes as it's very difficult to clean the models.
    As for Tebee his models, these aren't very complicated, and easy to clean (compressed air)

but with very difficult structures, you will always have to open the sinter box to clean the models and remove the excessive powder.

7. tebee
    tebee Well-Known Member
    Ah ! so my stuff is simple and easy to clean - does that mean next time I print it I can negotiate a discount ? :twisted:

8. stannum
    stannum Well-Known Member
    Bump, what is the result of this test? Will it become the norm?

9. duann
    duann New Member
    ha, design your own boxes and make the most of the density discount..