Is There Someone To Ask About The Statasys J750?

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by TrentTroop, Oct 31, 2018.

1. TrentTroop
    TrentTroop Well-Known Member
    I would like to get some more information about the plans for the Stratasys, since with the changes to pricing full color is one of the few hopes I have for keeping sales up. I asked these questions in the announcement thread, but there was no response.
    • Do we have an estimated time to when beta testing will open for signed-up/selected users?
    • Do we have any information on what materials it will be most comparable to, cost-wise?
    • Are both the flexible opaque full color and transparent rigid full color print-options being explored for Shapeways?
    • Will the Stratasys support interlocking parts? Sprues?
    • Will color data that works for the sandstone prints also work on the Statasys?
    Also, I know this may be jumping ahead a bit, but once the full color options are live, a "Deco" variant option (wouldn't even have to be named, just "Color 1", "Color 2", etc) would be vastly helpful. I can easily produce a half dozen color-schemes per item that my buyers will want, and being able to do so in one shop entry as opposed to several would be a great help.

Also, a color/opacity picker for single-color printing of models that don't have built-in color data would be useful, I expect.

I'm very interested in this topic because of the kind of products I make. I make specialty items for toy collectors. Right now my customer base is limited because items need painting and finishing by the end user, so only those comfortable with customizing work tend to buy. If I gain the ability to produce play-ready full color items then my customer base (and thus yours) will expand greatly. I just want to be as prepared as possible for it at public launch.

Also, I've submitted a lot of models via email to the testing process, is there supposed to be some kind of autoreply on those? I have no idea if the messages went through.

2. Lefteri
    Lefteri Shapeways Employee CS Team
    Hello @TrentTroop thank you for reaching out to us about this. While I am not certain if we can provide answers to all of your questions just yet, I will reach out to my colleagues and let you know what they can share.

3. TrentTroop
    Thank you, Lefteri. I appreciate it.

4. jimmyadvice
    jimmyadvice Shapeways Employee CS Team
    Hello @TrentTroop

Thanks for reaching out about the progress of the J750. We have made a lot of progress with the technology but we are not yet ready to answer some specific questions. I will do my best to share what we can at this moment.

First, we are getting your emails, and we'll be adding an auto confirmation. Great suggestion!

Next, We can't give any info on price, as we are still measuring all that goes into the printing and post-printing processes of the J750. We are also still learning about the technology and what it can and can not do and thus I can't give any details out right now concerning timeline.

Right now we are exploring the full color / transparent models. This might change later down the road if we have more demand for models that need flexible / high strength characteristics. The printer does support interlocking parts!

With sprues we are unsure at the moment what is the best thickness for those are but we expect it to support them. We are still working on the Guidelines for this material. The color data that is currently supported by Sandstone will still be supported by this process as well. If it is a full color print we like the VRML (.wrl) V2.0 file type.

Could you provide a little more detail around your "Deco" variant option? We want to make sure we understand your idea fully in order to evaluate it.

A color picker option is a great idea for when the material in a more mature state.

I hope that I was able to help answer some of the questions that you have right now. Thank you for your interest in the new machine and thank you for sending us your models to try!

5. TrentTroop
    Thank you for the reply, this is very helpful.

I would strongly recommend moving straight into the flexible/high strength characteristic material once the rigid one is worked out. Toy collectors and customizers want those kinds of parts with those kinds of features, and they are a large pool of customers with deep pockets. They just don't want to have to paint things on average, and durability/flexibility is important to a lot of item-types.

As to deco, let me see...

Here's a figure I have in my store, a figurine of a minor character from Transformers named Browning:

[​IMG]

Here, he's shown in the colors that he was in the Anime series. His toy, however, had a completely different set of colors:

[​IMG]

Which right now I have to put into two store entries.

Now, if I had a "deco" variant option, I could just make it so people could choose between the two colors on one store entry, and it means I could introduce other variants like battle damage or transparent w' scan-lines or any number of other looks. The customer then could go straight to my store, pick the color option they like best, and be on their way. Fewer clicks means less customer confusion and more sales.

Alternatively, if there was a variant option that let you name your own variants, you wouldn't need a deco category, and we could put in more self-explanatory names for things, which for the end user might look like this:

upload_2018-11-2_16-10-44.png

Most of my store entries are for weapon accessories for action figures, like this sword for instance, and have a block of text like this:

---
    This item is available in four sizes:
    • Small (3mm)- Compatible with small/Legion Scale and Action Master Transformers and most building figures influcing Lego and Kre-o, as well as most 3 3/4 figures (Star Wars, Gi-Joe, etc).
    • Medium (4mm) - Compatible with MOTU (vintage and modern), as well as 6" Marvel, Star Wars and C figures.
    • Large (5mm) - Compatible with Transformers, Ninja Turtles and dozens of other lines. This version is scaled to Transformers figures in the scout, deluxe and voyager sizes.
    • Extra Large (5mm) - Compatible with Transformers, Ninja Turtles and dozens of other lines. This version is scaled to Ultra/Leader sized Transformers.
    ---

It works for me, but being able to just name the different variants things like "3mm Grip", "4mm Grip", "5mm Grip, Small Version" and "5mm Grip, Large Version" would make things more self-explanatory. I'd still have the main block of text explaining the sizes, of course, but by removing the extra step of associating a size to a grip (which may or may not be literally larger or smaller than another item) would make things more clear, and clarity = confidence = sales.

jimmyadvice likes this.
  6. jimmyadvice
    Thanks for the feedback @TrentTroop

I'll pass this along and let you know what further information the team can provide.

7. jimmyadvice
    Hi @TrentTroop

This is the feedback I got from the team:

"Thank you for your feedback with the materials. We are going to experiment with many different options and combinations.

Also, thanks for going into more detail about the "Deco" variant. It makes sense to have those kinds of model variant options on the same product page. I will pass this on to our 3D Tools team and see if this is something that can be added when the material launches later down the road."

If we missed any concerns/questions, let me know!

8. TrentTroop
    Nothing I can think of at the moment, outside the autoreply on submitting models for color testing.

I look forward to seeing the results of the test printing, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

jimmyadvice likes this.
  9. MrNibbles
    MrNibbles Well-Known Member
    Having different color schemes will be a very valuable variant if and when a color printer option is available. Even just simple things like school color pairings (orange&blue, purple&white, etc.) would benefit not to mention more complicated options for schemes like bare metal, jungle camouflage, snow camouflage, etc.

jimmyadvice likes this.
  10. reducedAircraftFactory
    reducedAircraftFactory Well-Known Member
    I would like to know the full gamut of colors that can be produced, in something like L*a*b or L*u*v color space, and whether there are options for finish (e.g. matte, satin, gloss).

11. southernnscale
    southernnscale Well-Known Member
    I check out the site page with statays-j750. but it really doesn't show any type of printed model in color or what they may look like if you want people to get involved then you need to show things that have been done with this printer! With the photo on that page just a blob of color!
    35672311-0-bm-model-2[1].png 35672316-0-bm-model-1[1].png

12. Lefteri
    Lefteri Shapeways Employee CS Team
    Hey @reducedAircraftFactory this is not information we have just yet but we will share it once we've progressed a bit further.

Hi @southernnscale! As we continue our tests, we will provide more examples with prints that can better demonstrate this printer's capabilities. We will keep everyone posted!

jimmyadvice likes this.