Is it Possible to Print in multiple colors?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by KatWardmfg, Dec 30, 2015.

1. KatWardmfg
    KatWardmfg Member
    I've seen some great pieces in the shop that have multiple colors. I'm working on a mug for my company and was wondering if it was possible to 3D print it with two different colors, a yellow handle with a black body. This way the handle looks more like our product. Also does anyone have any experience with screen print on pieces that they've 3D printed?

Thanks for your help!!

Mug files attached

Attached Files:

2. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Not currently possible - the only multicolor material is "full color sandstone" - glued gypsum powder colored with an inkjet printhead, probably good enough for a prototype but not really suited for usable mugs. Everything else needs to be painted or built from multiple parts. For your mug you could try painting the handle of a matte black porcelain print with a ceramic paint that can be oven-baked in a regular kitchen oven (e.g. Marabu brand) - if you need so many that this becomes unfeasible, chances are that doing individual prints is too expensive anyway.

3. Andrewsimonthomas
    Andrewsimonthomas Well-Known Member
    Yeah for ceramics the only way to get multiple colors is to paint and glaze yourself.

4. larry_boehm
    larry_boehm Member
    Does that 'no' only apply to ceramics?
    Can you print in multiple colors for plastic?
    Change color after a specific layer or height?