Is Adobe The Right Tool To Create 3d?

Discussion in 'Software and Applications' started by TerryMiddleton, Jan 13, 2018.

1. I have Adobe Creative Cloud, what is the right tool to create 3D objects that can be converted to stl?

Is Adobe the right solution? What is the best tool to use? Easiest? Least expensive?

Appreciate for your thoughts and insights.

2. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    Do. Or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

There is no "right tool", nor a "best tool". Many tools have their own strengths and weaknesses. No tool "does it all".
    On top of that, there are several different ways of designing, with different tools being best for each approach. You need to find what works best for you and the way you think.

On repeated occasions I have taken two programs and given them to two different people. Six months later, I switch the tools out, Person1 taking ToolB and Person2 taking ToolA, and both of them profusely thank me for the "Much improved tool!"

Personally, I'm more of an engineer than an artist, so Truespace, Blender, Openscad work well for me. If you're into organic modelling, you might be happier with 3dsMax or Maya. Other folks swear by Sketchup and Tinkercad. There's plenty of good free software out there.

You need to try out several drawing tools and see which one works best for you. You might find, like I do, that no single tool does everything you need, and that you need to be proficient with several.
    TerryMiddleton likes this.
  3. southernnscale
    southernnscale Well-Known Member
    Stonysmith, is right! every person has there own way of learning and using tools. Like me I'm not much of a professional engineer but more like an artist but mostly in free hand and not with computers! So learning a new program takes time. I have tried to use most of the programs he as talked about found them hard to work with. Myself I have used 3Ds max over the years. Now in 3D printing! I find this program fit my needs I have four views area and one is in perspective view. This works fine for me! It also has the required tools I need.
  4. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
    Hi Terry welcome to Shapeways! :D

Adobe doesn't have any software for creating 3D models. You can load 3D models into Photoshop CC for making photorealistic renderings and some 3D modeling software will let you export as a 3D PDF, which can be viewed in 3D with Adobe Acrobat Reader, but other than that Adobe hasn't gotten much into 3D, Adobe is mostly all about 2D.

Aside from Adobe software, the easiest I think, if you're on Windows, is DesignSpark Mechanical, which is free.

Another easy one to learn if you want to paint something or sculpt something like you'd sculpt modeling clay is Sculptris. It is also free.

What are you wanting to make? Did you already have something in mind? :)
  5. Stonysmith...thank you very much. I appreciate your insight.
  6. southernnscale...thank you. .
  7. UniverseBecoming

I will try those options. I downloaded several but they are super high end and then I also found TinkerCAD was is super simple and low end. I am sure I will find a good one. Totally appreciate your input.

Right now I am trying to create a unique men's bracelet. It will have a leather bracelet and a metal plate with some words on the top plate.
  8. Frozenrain
    Frozenrain Well-Known Member
    You mean this one:D:
  9. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
    Sounds cool! Let us know how it's going as you get more into it. :)