Introducing The Hp Printer! Sign Up For Early Access

Discussion in 'Official Announcements' started by Andrewsimonthomas, Apr 26, 2017.

1. Oliver_Krangle
    Oliver_Krangle Well-Known Member
    Yes, my goal is to make it possible for people to print pen tubes and use them directly with commercial pen kits, if only to bypass needing a drill press, lathe, or other costly tools and supplies. There might be a need to fine tune the internal hole diameter or total length using a round hand file or sandpaper but that's about it, as in this keychain pen example (HP black plastic):

[​IMG]

But pen makers have a very different mindset when it comes to making pens. A lot of them will look at a 3D printed pen tube with disdain. They only consider it a "hand made" pen if they go through the trouble of drilling and turning a chunk of something on a lathe. And pen makers will try to make a pen out of anything they can get a hold of that's large enough. Bone, exotic woods, acrylics, Bakelite, cactus skeletons encased in clear cast plastics, old toilet seats, old whiskey barrels, etc. I think there can be some middle ground to expand creativity. Things don't need to be black and white one way or the other!

2. knoted
    knoted Active Member
    Yikes !

"Pen is mightier than the sword" kind of attitude eh ?

I agree.
    On the other extreme end of the spectrum I always wonder if the pure digital artists are still any good, with just a pencil & paper or just modeling clay.

Anyway, I deal in aftermarket solutions for transforming toys & collectibles such as indeed, Transformers. I do proud myself I create products which requires no or very few customizing skills on their part. Afterall, I intend to guarantee them "plug & play".
    Plenty of fantastic looking stuff available in this niche market, but quite often people find out the fit of a part is off - too loose or too tight, etc.
    I won't make a product go live in my Shapeways shop like that.

3. reducedAircraftFactory
    reducedAircraftFactory Well-Known Member
    Hey, it's time for my monthly reminder to Shapeways that:
    1. Apparently, you still have not examined your pricing vs. printing costs for this material. "Double WSF" seems like a stab in the dark.
    2. You still have not made this material available to end-customers. I can only order models for myself.

crashtestdummy and ceramicwombat like this.
  4. czhunter
    czhunter Well-Known Member
    And for the situation to be little more funny - while this material is still not public (for more then a year now), Shapeways recommend you in today's e-mail to switch your models from HDA to MJF.
    That is definitely going to boost sales ...

5. MadBikeSkills
    MadBikeSkills Well-Known Member
    Other printers have already been offering MJF prints, Shapeways just takes to long to go from pilot to end-user availability. I think some of the issue is that Shapeways still thinks that the designer is the end user or that the models here are part of something else not a complete general public enduser product, I know that they want to change that impression, but it is a painfully slow process. And, why is MJF pricing so high (identical to Premium S&F)? Since the finished out of the printer model is already supposed to be better than the normal S&F, there should be less human interaction to 'finish' the printing/polishing/dyeing process.

Once MJF becomes a public material I know I will offer it instead of the normal S&F black, it would be nice if the pricing were more inline with the other polished parts.

6. crashtestdummy
    crashtestdummy Well-Known Member
    That's assuming it becomes a "public material" and they simply don't drip it with little to no warning. Still no "official" word to the users about the 8 products being dropped just e-mail to some selected users.

7. MadBikeSkills
    Another unrelated thread on this forum has a SHapeways representative leaking that it will become Public. I can name you three other services that allows anyone to order MJF parts today. I won't mention the names for fear of this post being "moderated", Google is your friend.

I got the email. but don't have time to go through several hunderds items to see what eaxctly is affected.

And can someone explain the quality difference between Polished White S&F and Premium White S&F besides the 2X price multiplier?

8. IntelXeon
    IntelXeon Well-Known Member
    HP jetfusion material is now avaible for public but its 2x the cost of strong and flexible plastic..

9. reducedAircraftFactory
    Hurrah -- no more monthly nag-posts from me! Finally I can make this material available to our mutual customers.

Not-so-hurrah -- I still can't understand why MJF prints have exactly double the pricing factors of (what used to be) WSF -- material costs: double, empty space costs: double, handling costs: double, per-part costs: double.

10. tebee
    tebee Well-Known Member
    Yes I thought MJF was going to be cheaper and better than WSF - Indeed other sites do price it cheaper than their WSF equivalents. Have just checked on one of my products - Shapeways WSF price $10.85 HP black price $23.69 Other company HP black price $6.48 !

So what has gone wrong with it at Shapeways ?

11. aryser
    aryser Well-Known Member
    This discussion is so quite since post concerning the price chock.

Has Shapeways an HP Jet fusion 500/300 for color print in test?
    Or is it planed?

12. IntelXeon
    IntelXeon Well-Known Member
    lol now the competitioner of shapeways just got 3 new hp jet fusion printers

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
  13. Efe3d
    Efe3d Member
    I'd like to repeat that Mr. Aryser's question.

aryser likes this.
  14. xigfrid
    xigfrid Member
    I can't understand why Shapeways is the last on the HP wagon ... True I have ordered in JFP at the main competitor, and it was cheaper than Shapeways WSF but their interface and client support was mediocre. That's the only thing keeping me here, and trying to support Shapeways.

15. MitchellJetten
    MitchellJetten Shapeways Employee CS Team
    I just checked our 2 main competitors, but neither of the 2 offers HP in color?
    Just like us they offer the material in either black or grey.
    https://www.shapeways.com/materials/professional-plastic

I'm not really sure what you mean by us being the last on the HP wagon?

16. MadBikeSkills
    @MitchellJetten

I think what he means is that your 2 main competitors had the HP MJF prints available to the public months before Shapeways did. The 'Last' description of Shapeways offering MJF was a kindness by @xigfrid

17. xigfrid
    xigfrid Member
    Hi Mitchell, thanks for replying directly to my post. I didn't mean that Shapeways was last to offer Jet Fusion color. Indeed nobody makes the color yet. Nor anybody makes dual material either, etc etc.

What I really meant is that a few years ago, Shapeways was at the edge of 3D service companies, exceptional web interface, great support and Shapeways always had a step further in term of print material or service.
    But today, Steo competitor introduces resistant and yet smooth surface resin when Shapeways removes Black High Def acrylate, Steo competitor has a better print resolution with their HP Jet Fusion prints than their SLS plastic and still this HP material is cheaper.
    What did Shapeways did with its HP Fusion material ? Shapeways did put it in beta test for more than 1 year at a similar price than WSF, then decided to put it finally available to order, but at twice the WSF price.

This is like Shapeways is rejecting any evolutive/next gen materials to stay put on their marks with WSF plastic. Believe me or not, but the day a competitor has a smooth web interface that doesn't need to call or to mail a human to fix all the issues, this would be the end of shapeways.

18. MitchellJetten
    MitchellJetten Shapeways Employee CS Team
    Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it @xigfrid
    I definitely understand what you're referring to now :)

We've tested the HP Fusion indeed way longer than we first anticipated, unfortunately down the road we had some obstacles to overcome before making it public to everyone.

Regarding pricing, I can't really go into details there on why our competitor is able to provide a lower price than us, since pricing of our materials is not really my department :(

I'll check if Blair, from our materials team can shed some more light on your questions and provide a better answer!

19. reducedAircraftFactory
    @MitchellJetten: I enabled the HP Black material for my entire product catalog. It is a nice strong and resilient material, especially for larger scale models. However, at twice the price of what-used-to-be-called-WSF, there is literally zero demand (at least, from my customers). If it were in the same ballpark (more or less), I think it would be a popular material. So, yes, some re-evaluation of pricing would be greatly appreciated.

Carlos2k10 likes this.
  20. Carlos2k10
    Carlos2k10 Well-Known Member
    I am on the same boat as reduced aircraft f. Recently I got a query of a customer that wanted a model in a sturdy material.

Hp black came into the conversation and went out as quickly as the price came out.

From the customer point of view the final product does not justify the price tag if compared with other alternatives.

Regards