Intersecting Geometry?

Discussion in 'My Work In Progress' started by Cheathem, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Cheathem
    Cheathem New Member
    Hey guys,new to 3D printing here.Just wanted to know if i could have intersecting geometry? I have a model with spikes on it that aren't geometrically attached,they just intersect the model.I uploaded the model to see if it would pass verification and it did.does this mean that im good to go or will it print incorrectly? Thanks in advance everyone.

2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Shapeways Employee Community Team
    The automated software will automatically join intersecting geometry. This is so you don't get double charged for material. Geometry that sits face to face does cause the software issues though.

3. Cheathem
    Cheathem New Member
    Oh wow thats great then.thanks

4. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
    My dyslexia had me thinking the title was, "Interesting Geometry?" Then I open the thread looking for interesting geometry! HAHAHA! :laughing: UGGGG! I hate that! :D

Another thing you can do is send your intersections to the Netfabb Cloud Service and it will also do all the booleans necessary to get rid of the intersections. I sometimes use this as an easy fix when I'm running into problems with booleans in the whatever software I happen to be using. :)

5. Cheathem
    Cheathem New Member
    whoa no way, ive been having to do a crazy work flow through z brush.Thanks UniverseBecoming, ill definitely check it out.

6. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
    :)