Interlocking Parts

Discussion in 'My Work In Progress' started by pempey, Nov 13, 2012.

1. pempey
    pempey New Member
    So I was working on this model of a bell, at first I was going to go with a ceramic material because I thought I might actually give a good sound. However, I noticed in the material guidelines that all parts needed to meet the min bounding box and that interlocking parts were not acceptable. So I tweaked the design a little bit to meet the specifications for Sandstone, including a working interconnected clapper, and upon uploading I saw that Ceramic was an available option.

Has anyone else experienced getting more materials that they expected when uploading? How would something like that work if it was printed in Ceramic? Your thoughts are appreciated I am brand new to all of this.
  2. virtox
    virtox Active Member Moderator
    It seems the automated check do not yet detect interlocking parts to block certain materials.
    So it is always possible that material shows for a model, but it will probably be rejected after you order it if they find it is not according to the design rules.
    They tend to improve greatly on the automation front, but it's not all there yet :)

Should they miss the fact that it has interlocking parts, with ceramics the result is likely to fuse and or break.

3. pempey
    pempey New Member
    That is good to know. Admittedly I was hoping that perhaps the inside of the bell was determine to be a non glazed surface giving it the slightest chance that it could survive the printing and firing process. Alas I will will have to settle for Sandstone.