Icetube clock case

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by nmatsuda, May 13, 2010.

1. nmatsuda
    nmatsuda Member
    This is a custom case for the Adafruit Icetube clock kit. This one is the second try, actually; the first one had a couple issues with the fit so I had to tweak the dimensions slightly.

P1000516.jpg

P1000519.jpg

P1000520.jpg

P1000523.jpg

P1000527.jpg

update: the shop is set up in case you want one!
    http://www.shapeways.com/shops/nathanmatsuda

-nathan

Last edited: May 14, 2010
  2. Ushanka
    Ushanka Member
    Question: Do you know how much adding the holes affected the price of the model?

3. nmatsuda
    nmatsuda Member
    No idea, although I could probably try uploading a version without to see the difference...

It was just an aesthetic choice, but it inevitably cut down on the material volume a lot.

4. 4m3D
    4m3D Member
    WOW!!! Nice... would love to have one of these on my desk.

If you don't mind me asking... where did you get the electronic bits from?

Todd
    www.4m3d.com

5. nmatsuda
    nmatsuda Member
  6. stbtraxer
    stbtraxer Member
    what were the issues you had with the 1st iterations fit?

7. nmatsuda
    nmatsuda Member
    I had been using the Eagle board layout for the Icetube from Adafruit to align everything in my model, and then just measuring my actual Icetube board to get the height of the components and the spacing for those sticking out.

Either I measured wrong or there was some shrinkage or something but everything was just a little too small. I couldn't quite get the board into the case without cutting it open, so I decided to go back to the drawing board.

Of course this is exactly what rapid prototyping is useful for; I was able to just make changes and print another.