I Wrote A Stl Preview Thumbnail Handler

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by Krishty, May 31, 2019.

1. Krishty
    Krishty Member
    I’m pretty bad at remembering file names, so I wrote a program that displays the content of STL files right in the Windows File Explorer. No need to guess names any more.

https://papas-best.com/stlthumbnails_en

It supports binary and text STL files, colors, and more. Works on Windows 7, 8, 10.

I’d be happy about feedback :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 31, 2019
  2. ZapWizard
    ZapWizard Active Member
    I can't believe no comments. This is a great help. However, I couldn't get it to work, I sent you an email.
    However, people should check out your actual viewer, much faster then booting Meshmixer to validate files.

Krishty likes this.
  3. rolsen01
    rolsen01 Well-Known Member
    Works great for me. Thanks for sharing

Krishty likes this.
  4. Krishty
    Krishty Member
    Glad to hear!

Thank you again for the detailed analysis you sent me. I’ll release an updated version once I figured the issue out!

5. shawn_halayka
    shawn_halayka Well-Known Member
    This is one case where Mac OS X is superior to Windows... In Mac OS X there is built-in STL support in the Finder window. ;)

P.S. Can I have the source code for your STL thumbnail viewer? I assume that it's in C++?

Krishty likes this.
  6. Krishty
    Krishty Member
    Check your private messages!

shawn_halayka likes this.
  7. shawn_halayka
    shawn_halayka Well-Known Member
  8. ZapWizard
    ZapWizard Active Member
    FYI, this is now working for me. Krishty worked very hard to solve an issue I had, which was related to Windows UAC. Both his thumbnail generator and viewer are both the fasted STL programs I have seen.

Krishty likes this.