Human Skulls In 1/16th-120mm Pt.2

Discussion in 'Miniatures and Scale Models' started by leekelm, Jun 25, 2019.

1. leekelm
    leekelm Member
    I was just checking my messages to see if anyone has posted anything pertaining to my original posting. all I have found was a lot of looks and no offers. Not really knowing much about the 3d printing business in terms of is this a job that can't be done or no one wants to attempt this task. I don't know,but all I'm looking for was realistic human skulls with jaw bones in the scale of 1/16th-120mm.
    I'm hoping that I can find a person/company that can do it,but if not,I will have to look else where.
    thank you.

2. rowsdower
    rowsdower Member
    Are you looking for the jaw to be articulated (able to be opened and closed) or static? What material do you want this to be produced in?

3. leekelm
    leekelm Member
    Sir,
    Thank you for responding. I'm looking for a static skulls. like I posted earlier, I'm building a vignette of the death dealer painting by frank frazetta. Having the death dealer on his horse on top of a mountain of skulls all in 1/16th-120mm scale. So with that I mind,that is why I was looking to find someone to make realistic human skulls. As for what material, I think it would be best if we went with the smoothest fine detail plastic.
    So I hope this information will help you in deciding if you want to take on this project.
    Thank you
    chris

4. rowsdower
    rowsdower Member
    I have this partially completed model that I could work from, if you consider this realistic enough:

[​IMG]

It still needs some detail work like the "seams" along the top of the skull. I also need to check the overall proportions to make sure it's overall a normal-looking length compared to its height, but that stuff shouldn't take all that long.

I can scale it to 1:16 and see how it goes with the thickness checks if you think something like this will work for you.

5. leekelm
    leekelm Member
    Sir,
    sounds great please keep me posted on when the final prototype is completed. then we can talk about pricing.
    chris

6. leekelm
    leekelm Member
    Rowsdower,
    how is it come with the human skulls in 1/16th scale?
    chris

7. rowsdower
    rowsdower Member
    Sorry, I got hung up on some other bits for my shop so this got delayed somewhat. I usually work in 1:18 scale and I was also prepping the model for that size in a less-detailed plastic. I have a 1:16 ready to go except for the bone seams. It passes all automatic checks for the smoothest fine detail plastic right now, You can take a look at the not-yet-for-sale model here:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/U8EAJWPSY/

Once I remove material in the bone seam areas I'll need to look at the thickness checks again before I can say it's ready to roll.

8. leekelm
    leekelm Member
    Sir,
    looks pretty good so far. If I need to have a couple of the skulls without the jaw bone I could just cut off the jaw bone. Keep me posted on when you have the final product. As for the digital preview, how close to what the actual skull will look like compared to the digital one?
    Thank you.
    chris

9. rowsdower
    rowsdower Member
    If you are asking how accurate the appearance of the actual material is in that preview, then I would say probably not totally accurate. The detail plastic is pretty cloudy white in most cases in my experience, but that preview has more of a foggy bathroom mirror effect, in my opinion. In reality the material also has a slightly lumpy texture (hence why they used to call it "frosted" detail plastic) but since the texture is so fine you really don't see that except under magnification. Here are some very small vehicles I printed out once in this material:

[​IMG]

The feet in this photo are those of a 1:18 scale action figure, for scale reference:

[​IMG]

As you can see, the fine detail is very well represented. You can't really even see from these photos that there is a fine, fine texture to the surface. But the cloudy, milky material appearance in these photos is pretty characteristic of how the detail plastic comes out in my experience.

If you are asking how "true-to-model" the details print out, then I would say very, very true-to-model. I don't think you would be able to see anything different between the model and the printed item with the naked eye or even a decent zoom on a camera unless you really, really looked for it...but maybe not even then. This material really does produce good detail.

Also, if you are not already aware, in the top right corner of the preview image on that product page you can click on an icon that says "3D" and that will allow you to rotate and zoom in on the model to see what it looks like from all sides. The model shown in that 3d viewer is simplified from the actual model used, so not all detail shows. But the overall model can be inspected that way to see it from angles not present in the main preview image.

EDIT: Also, please take a look at the "dimensions" section of that product page and let me know if those dimensions are what you are looking for. Human heads vary in size, so there is going to be some subjectivity in determining exactly how big these skulls should be for any given "scale."

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019 at 2:19 PM
  10. leekelm
    leekelm Member
    Sir,
    Based on your measurements, 0.39 x 0.59 x 0.62 inches, in the 1/16th scale,I think that they just maybe good to go. Now,as for the time to make them,what are we looking at for time? Also, what are we looking at in terms of price? We were talking a little bit about 30-35 maybe 40 skulls.
    So now that we got this taken care of so far,please inform me on what is the final time and price for everything.
    Thank you.
    Chris

11. rowsdower
    rowsdower Member
    You will be ordering from Shapeways directly and they will handle the printing and mailing of your order. Completion time will be based on their schedule and the options you choose at checkout. You can pay for expedited printing and/or expedited shipping at your discretion.

I just finished adding the seams to the model (you can check the model page I linked you to earlier to see the updated model). At this point, the only thing I have left to do is to see how many of these skull models I can fit into a single file before I run over the maximum file size. The material you want to print these in has a minimum price of $10 per model file, and then it goes up from there based on material usage and machine space, so I have to try to find the most efficient way to pack the models together and then add a markup for my time and effort. I'll get the total price worked out for you as soon as possible, I just have no idea so far because I haven't checked how much Shapeways themselves will charge for the actual printing.

12. leekelm
    leekelm Member
    Sir,
    Sounds great I'll have to look at your updated version. But keep it up,hopefully everything will be great in the end and well both cash in on your work.
    Please keep me posted when all is completed.
    Thank you.
    chris

13. leekelm
    leekelm Member
    Sir,
    I like what you did with the cracks in the skull,nice touch.