How to Print Interlocking Parts? Also, which material?

Discussion in 'Technologies and Hardware' started by vaguelygenius, Mar 1, 2013.

1. vaguelygenius
    vaguelygenius New Member
    Hello! I've made a 3D model i want to print and it's my first time ever getting something printed. I tried uploading this model all together so the pointers will print attached to the main body, but Shapeways did not like it and rejected the design. However, it seemed fine when I tried uploading the part separately. What can I do to get this printed all together?

Completed Ring Image.png

Also, I'm not entirely sure what material I should be picking. I'm mostly concerned with it withstanding some light banging since it is a prop, and to have a nice and smooth surface, since it's mostly curves. Any advice? I was looking at Polished WSF, hoping it won't round out the points too much...
  2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Shapeways Employee Community Team
    Make sure your gaps are at least .5mm to prevent fusing. Polishing will dull your points but not a whole lot. I actually got some pointy parts the other day in polished dyed nylon, and they are still pretty sharp.
  3. vaguelygenius
    vaguelygenius New Member
    Thanks for your quick reply, but I went back and made sure that there was .5mm clearance between the parts and the system still rejected it... ): I uploaded it as a .wrl file because exporting it as an STL file in Solidworks makes every component a separate file, preventing them from interlocking...