How To Do 3d Modeling In Designspark Mechanical

Discussion in 'Software and Applications' started by UniverseBecoming, Nov 7, 2017.

1. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
    Regulars in the forum know that I mention SpaceClaim and DesignSpark Mechanical the free reduced function version of SpaceClaim quite a bit. And now I've finally got around to making a tutorial on how to use it, which can be found here. If you have any questions or you noticed any typos or errors please post here and I or another Shapeways forum patron will respond.

2. JACANT
    JACANT Well-Known Member
  3. UniverseBecoming
    Hey there Jacant! All be damned! You're still on there helping people with the DSM! That's great! They should give you some kind of kickback for being so helpful all these years. :D As you probably remember I left there when they took away the blend command in version 2 and did a bunch of crazy stuff to the forum. :p

I wasn't sure what version I have installed on this, my public computer, so I tried to do a blend and the blend command is not there. So looked and it's reporting itself to be version 2012.1 SP2 (2012.1.2.02111) 64-bit. I have version 1 installed somewhere on one of my other computers though. Do you have the old download link to version 1 from the RS site? I'll look around for it and see if I can find it.

4. UniverseBecoming
  5. UniverseBecoming
    Hmmm. . . That's not it either. Apparently, you are correct that what I have/had installed in DSM V1, but I think it is/was SP2 meaning service pack 2, which was their first update where they took out the blend command??? You're the expert these days when it comes to DSM so you tell me! HAHA! :D

I'll keep looking and see if I can find the DSM that is the actual first version 1 with the blend command intact.

6. UniverseBecoming
    Ok, I found it I think. What I found is version 2012.1 SP2 (2012.1.2.09185) 64-bit, here. I don't know if it is the very first version but I do know that it has the bend command. Here's a test I did blending between a triangle, a hexagon, and a rectangle.
    Blend DSM.jpg

7. JACANT
    JACANT Well-Known Member
    Yes I'm still there.

The first link you gave above 'here for 64 bit' is the one I use. I lost the original.
    You may have the preference files still intact from the version you are trying to replace.
    All sorted now I see.

The other thing I think you should explain is the 'Options' for saving as an STL file.
    This old link may help, https://designspark.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/115000087525-3D-Prints-are-not-round-

Users may find the attached PDF file helpful.

Attached Files:

8. UniverseBecoming
    Yeah good idea, I think I'll tack that on to the end at some point. I'm back to being swamped for now. :D