How To Design For Powder Removal?

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by Involute, Sep 9, 2021.

1. Involute
    Involute Member
    I've designed a box I'm going to have you guys print in plastic. I've ordered a number of parts from you this way, but not for a while, and I can't remember what I'm supposed to do to help you get the powder out., Specifically, the box has .125" thick walls which, as I recall, you'll print as two, parallel, thinner walls with loose powder in between. If I don't want to pay for that powder, somehow I'm supposed to put a couple of holes in the part for you to blow it out. I'm making this in Fusion 360, though, and it doesn't let me make a hole in just one side of an object (it already has several through holes, but the .125" face of each hole is solid).

Alternatively, if I'm willing to pay for the in-between powder, is there a way to insure all the powder is bound together, so the wall is solid and not two thin walls with loose powder in between?

Hope this makes sense. Thanks for the help.

2. SemperVaporo
    SemperVaporo Well-Known Member
    I have no idea what you are thinking. If you were to 3-D print a flat plate, say, 1-inch square and 1/8-inch thick and then drill a 1/4-inch hole through it, the only "powder" you might find would be from the material carved and ground up by the drilling. There would be no powder from between thin side surfaces of the flat plate. The plate would be solid material.
    The only need for removal of powder would be if you wanted a hollow vessel of some sort. Say you want a cube that is 1-inch on a side, with 1/8-inch thick walls. The total material used in the walls would amount to 1/4-inch leaving a 3/4-inch cavity in the center. The powder in that cavity would need an opening of some sort through one or more of the walls so that it can drain out when the cube is taken out of the 3-D printing machine.

You cannot make a completely closed, yet hollow, item. There needs to be some method of removing the un-solidified powder from it. The material specs give a relative larger dimension if using only one hole, and a smaller "per hole" dimension if providing more than one hole. Note also that you cannot have any sort of raised wall around the hole where powder might get trapped behind it and thus too difficult to remove. Again, the material specs has an illustration of such an opening.

3. Involute
    Involute Member
    Thanks for straightening me out.