How To Choose Image Of Product To Be Shown In Shop?

Discussion in 'Tips and How-tos' started by 3DGuild, Sep 1, 2018.

1. 3DGuild
    3DGuild Member
    Hi forum!

I have a product that is available in several materials. To each material I have uploaded images and correctly labeled the images according to the materials they show.

What I want to do is to choose which image of the product that should be shown by default on the shop page. I think the way to do this is by choosing 'default material' under the 'pricing & model files' area (in the edit product area). I cannot however find a way to do this (see attached image).

So in summary:
    - I want to set default image of product in shop
    - My assumption is that this is done by setting the default material: how do I do this?

I'm running Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, and Firefox Quantum (61.0.1 (64-bit)), just in case.

Thanks in advance,
    Tobias

Attached Files:

2. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Should (used to) be an option in the list of materials that you put together. With the ongoing breakage a.k.a redesign of the UI and some users seeing an entirely different model page than others it is hard to tell if and where it is available...

3. lawrencekramer2014
    lawrencekramer2014 Well-Known Member
    Still there, need to change display order to 1 as well.

4. MrNibbles
    MrNibbles Well-Known Member
    The shop page product image isn't always set by the default image on the actual product page. I can't say I fully understand the rules and what takes priority under the various settings.

Your best bet is to go to the bottom of the product page where the renders and uploaded images are located. In theory you should be able to change the order of the renders and uploaded photos. If your top image is also set as the default material it should appear as both the primary image on your product page and on the shop page. In theory that is....

5. MrNibbles
    MrNibbles Well-Known Member
    I don't know if this will help but this is the way I set up things to try and make sure that the same external render shows up on the product page and the shop page. I upload two copies of the render to the image bar and move them to the top of the list. The first gets set as multiple materials and the second as the default material. After those two come the actual photos of the products associated with their materials. I just want the initial images to be consistent. You might be able to do a similar thing by uploading a photo twice and using the multiple materials trick, but you might need to experiment depending on what you're trying to do. You might even need to tag a photo as a render to manipulate the algorithms.

Once people start clicking on different materials different renders or photos will show up on the product page. One might argue that products with visible default photos get more interest and sales but I'm past that point. Now I'm all about working around the system. I'm that guy.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/KV4PARHTP/fishing-lure-minnow?optionId=11849591

image priority.jpg

6. 3DGuild
    3DGuild Member
    Thanks for the quick replies! I got more response than I had hoped for :)

As I read the comments I got the feeling that there was no known way to accomplish what I wanted. I then thought of the work-around to delete the materials and images (and other options) that I did not want as standard, so that the image and material I want as standard would become standard.

Whilst doing so however I realized that setting the standard material is straight forward. It is done under the Materials part of the product page, see attached image. Don't know how I could have missed it. Using that option (and the order of the images) put my desired image as default that is then shown in the shop.

Consequently I consider the thread closed.

Thanks again,
    Tobias

Attached Files: