How Big Should The Hole Be For The Necklace Chain?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by 2549459_deleted, Sep 25, 2019.

1. I'm new to designing necklaces and was trying to work out the minimum size the hole for the necklace chain needs to be.

I was looking to use the Silver Beveled Cable Chain which is the first option from this page: https://www.shapeways.com/blog/archives/35028-finish-pendant-one-new-necklace-chains.html

It says a clasp connector of 4mm wide, does that mean the hole needs to be minimum 4mm wide for the chain to fit through? If I made the hole an oval shape of 4mm x 1mm would the chain fit?

Thanks for your help.

2. FerretDesigns
    FerretDesigns Well-Known Member
    Not necessarily.
    I buy my own chains, and remove the loop or clasp carefully with pliars, feed the thin chain through, then put it back together. Depending on the design of chain that is easy enough...but some chains (and shapeways might be like this) have the clasp connector fixed onto the chain or an intregal part of it.

3. Thanks for the reply Ferret. My issue is I am sending it direct to customers from my etsy store, so the hole needs to be wide enough for chain or the customers will probably not be happy lol. I tried emailing shapeways support but no answer.

4. FerretDesigns
    FerretDesigns Well-Known Member
    Odd, I've always got a reply from support.
    I've not integrated my etsy with Shapeways as I prefer a second quality control.

The chains look like a customer would be able to open the jump ring and add the chain, but not everyone will think to do it.

5. Thanks again Ferret. Maybe I sent it to the wrong email? I used the email address at the bottom of that page. I might just order a test order with different sized openings to see what works.

6. lawrencekramer2014
    lawrencekramer2014 Well-Known Member
    FYI, I use an oval opening (inside) of 4 mm by 6 mm most jump rings can be squished to fit that. Also people can also use a thin cord instead of a chain.

7. billiemartin
    billiemartin Member
    It would be interesting to know what kind of jewelry you like? Maybe a certain theme or a certain material?