Hollow Model Gets Filled On Upload? Also More Expensive Than Non-hollow??

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by soind123, Aug 30, 2018.

1. soind123
    soind123 Member
    I first designed a filled doll dressform which I printed for $53.70. Then I tried making it cheaper by hollowing it out in Blender. But when I uploaded the hollow version I noticed the preview showed it as filled and the price jumped to $71.56! I'm hoping someone here can enlighten me why this happened. I'm wondering if it is due to my limited skill with Blender that I did something wrong (not closing all shapes or something)?

I've attached the original print and hollow versions of the dressform.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Attached Files:

2. Moms_Sphagetti
    Moms_Sphagetti Shapeways Employee CS Team
    Hi Solnd123,

Thanks for writing in. As mentioned during our ticket, the issue was with the hollow model not having any escape holes.

Since the model doesn't have an escape holes, there's no way for excess material to actually escape the inside of the model in post production which would make the model not hollow. This is why the uploader will view the model as a solid model and increase pricing.

If you add escape holes on the model so extra material can escape, the model will then be viewed as hollow and the price should drop as expected.

Hope this helps! Please feel free to reach out to us at service@shapeways.com

All the best,

3. soind123
    soind123 Member
    "As mentioned in our ticket"? I'm not sure what you're referring to as this is a model I just made hollow today and there are HUGE escape holes in this new design and I did not submit a ticket regarding this question.

And even if it does fill it in, I still don't understand why it would be so much more expensive when the previous model was already designed to be enclosed/solid and the dimensions are otherwise identical...?

Screen Shot 2018-08-30 at 12.33.40 PM.png

4. Moms_Sphagetti
    This is totally my bad! I'm sorry as this issue was very similar to another case I was working on that had the same pricing issue. I'm looking into this now for you and I will let you know what is going on as soon as possible.

All the best,

5. soind123
    soind123 Member
    LOL - no problem. I really appreciate it! I have a feeling it's an issue with some vertices or other details but my newb brain can't puzzle it out. ;)

6. Moms_Sphagetti
    Ok! So after checking on the models again on my end. It seems the cheaper model does actually have an escape hole (a rather small escape hole but an escape hole nonetheless) as you can see below:
    upload_2018-8-30_14-17-27.png

This is why the model is cheaper as material can escape from the hollow model.

For the other more expensive model, there aren't adequate escape holes and as such that material is simply stuck inside the model and will need be charged on the model price as shown:
    upload_2018-8-30_14-18-24.png

You simply need to add either an escape hole or an extra escape hole and the model should either be in the lower pricing or possibly even cheaper.

Hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any questions.

All the best,

7. soind123
    soind123 Member
    Thanks, I will try that!

8. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    Model_Monkey likes this.
  9. soind123
    soind123 Member
    stonysmith YOU ROCK. Thank you!!

10. Pwheeler
    Pwheeler Member
    I just had this problem today. I hollowed out a model only to find that it was more expensive on upload. Is this literally because there were no escape holes?