High Volume Of Support Structure On Model Flat To Z Axis

Discussion in 'Bug Reporting' started by lawrencekramer2014, Feb 22, 2020.

1. lawrencekramer2014
    lawrencekramer2014 Well-Known Member
    Hi team, I see a very high value for support structure on some flat models which should need virtually no support structure. This model is an example: https://www.shapeways.com/model/upload-and-buy/10301373
    I try to put the bottom of such models at zero on the z axis. I noticed that the boundary tool is flipping the model upside down, but the wall thickness tool keeps my original orientation. I have to believe that more support structure means more cost to me. Please provide guidance or a fix so the cost will be reduced. Thanks,

2. SemperVaporo
    SemperVaporo Well-Known Member
    I get an error when I try your link (Can't find the page). I am fairly new to all this, but I vaguely remember seeing an option to set the print orientation for some of my models in the Tools area. Maybe you could attempt to force the orientation there.

3. lawrencekramer2014
    upload_2020-2-22_11-54-29.png

4. lawrencekramer2014
    upload_2020-2-22_11-55-59.png

5. lawrencekramer2014
    Maybe the screenshots will help.

6. MitchellJetten
    MitchellJetten Shapeways Employee CS Team
    I have replied the email you've sent to customer service.
    my apologies for not checking the bug report forum often enough!

Mitchell

lawrencekramer2014 likes this.
  7. femc_tadej
    femc_tadej Member
    For me, changing the orientation doesn't change the amount of support material used. Am I doing something wrong?

8. coelian276
    coelian276 Well-Known Member
    No, because the support volume displayed is always the volume for the default orientation from Shapeways. Against the information written in 3D tools, changing the orientation and therefore the support volume doesn't change the price any longer. This information is outdated (the text also calls the material still Frosted Ultra Detail!!!). I have informed Shapeways to change this text, but obviously they have more important things to do. Maybe they currently work on a button to set the same markup for all materials at once :p...:confused:...ok, this will never happen :(