Help - Deleting A Part Of A Dropship - 3d Print

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by markzg77, Jun 17, 2017.

1. markzg77
    markzg77 New Member

Attached Files:

2. 8_Perf
    8_Perf Well-Known Member
    Unless you want the letters, Id say delete them. They add nothing to the model.
    As to whether SW will print it or not depends on a few things. How big is it for one? If it won't fit in their machine, they will reject it.
    Is the model water tight without any holes in it? Are there any intersecting faces inside the model that will confuse the slicer?
    Just a few things to look at. If you think the model is good, then you can at least remove the letters using meshmixer or netfabb.

3. markzg77
    markzg77 New Member
    Hi, thanks for the answers.
    I tried to delete the hovering letters above the model via Blender which I`m learning (with knife), but despite my efforts i couldn`t do it - I`m fairly new to any 3d programming.
    Otherwise I think the model` OK.
    Thanks again!

4. 8_Perf
    8_Perf Well-Known Member
    chopped the letters off for ya. Here it is in STL format, which means NO texture map. You will have to paint all the detail on it. it was also really small at only 1.75 inches long. I re-scaled it to about 6 inches long but you can change that after you upload it.

Attached Files:

5. markzg77
    markzg77 New Member
    Hey, thanks! Now a silly question: how did you do it? I mean, doing it in blender with a "knife" was so frustrating at any rate. I was doing the cutting (or better attempt to cut) according to the tutorial, but I simply couldn` t cut even the lines if the letters (I tried to connect the green dots, than the "box" cutting, nothing worked). On Netfabb online I simply didn`t see provided option for cutting, but than again, I`m very new to all this. Option for cutting should be perhaps one of the simplest.

Oh, I uploaded the model and it looksfine. You were right of course, the scale was very small (?), so I enlarged i, should be able to paint the model without any problem.

Great thanks again.

6. 8_Perf
    8_Perf Well-Known Member
    You're welcome.
    I model with a free program called Sketchup. Its easy to learn and very upgradeable using Ruby script plugin. Most are free.
    I imported the OBJ file and just snlectedthe text and hit delete. IMO, the learning curve for Blender is straight up! :) Never could wrap my head around it for what I wanted to do.
    Hope it works for you.

7. markzg77
    markzg77 New Member
    Thanks again, great help, you`re most kind!
    :):)