Help Creating Single Part Models

Discussion in 'Tips and How-tos' started by ichawkins01, Sep 13, 2017.

1. ichawkins01
    ichawkins01 New Member
    Hi there,

I'm new to shapeways and just relearning 3d modelling after many years of not doing it. Whilst the tools are much easier to work with these days I'm having trouble figuring out how to minimise cost and material for my models on shapeways. I'm looking to print in frosted ultra or extreme detail and I've tried to follow the product guidelines for minimum thicknesses etc.

I experimented tonight building a quick model and a supporting sprue assuming it would be oriented upright and printable as a single object. The shapeways app still wants to split this into 2 models.

https://www.shapeways.com/model/3dtools/6586336/0/61?key=f4b81d0571312b1174e21336874fbfd1&check=4

Oddly I've uploaded an assembled version of the same model and shapways still splits off the barrels for a 2 part print but it's coming out cheaper this way.

Can anyone suggest how to orient the objects in such a way to minimise wastage and print as a single idem.

Many thanks
    Ian

2. Shea_Design
    Shea_Design Well-Known Member
    Maybe it is the loose shells causing a problem, SW thinking there are additional parts/elements?