Hello from St.Petersburg

Discussion in 'Newcomers Lounge' started by 37366_deleted, Mar 26, 2010.

1. 37366_deleted
    37366_deleted Member
    Just saying hi! Probably a new blip on your destinations map. And here's hoping that Strong & Flexible is not merely a decorative object material as the disclaimer says ;)

2. 27618_deleted
    27618_deleted Member
    Welcome!
    The material is defenatly more then just decorative :) What are you planning on using it for?

3. 37366_deleted
    37366_deleted Member
    Thank you!

I'm printing hinges for a little robot I'm planning to make, bearing housings. Stuff that I could make myself from scraps but it would take too much effort to do them manually. I noticed that some people go as far as printing the entire mech assemblies, in pieces or even fully assembled. But from the results so far it appears that for a reliable mechanism it's better to trust the actual friction to real bearings, while printed parts make great flanges, housings etc.

4. 27618_deleted
    27618_deleted Member
    I'dd suggest you look at some of the reprap parts, and mechaincal parts in the shops... The material is just awesome ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEUlmsLe12Y )

Even though it is sandy to the touch, rotating parts move better then I expected. Of course it still has its limits, and for some parts other materials offered may be a better solution. My suggestion: Order some test parts first :)

5. 37366_deleted
    37366_deleted Member
    Thanks, I looked and I asked around. Just to make it a sure shot I made my "test" parts very generous in wall thicknesses and all.. I want to see the material in the first place, that's something pictures and words can't really explain. Can't wait!