He Is Happy !

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by Labskull, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Labskull
    Labskull Active Member
    Hello community,

He is pleased he received his crude brass skull ring. I ensued them patinated and photographed. So here are some pictures.
    The cast is rather loyal to the model carving, so big up to shapeways and has its precious little hands :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
    Great work! I like those orbits! Kinda has a nice mean looking feel to it. :)

3. Labskull
    Labskull Active Member
    Thank you UniverseBecoming, it's true she has beautiful eyes ^^

I did not think I'd like brass on my fingers but I admit I changed my mind.

Otherwise I found a shop with good product for patinated non-ferrous metals but also silver. I will soon test these products, I would post the results.

4. UniverseBecoming
    I think I know which one you're talking about. If you're talking about the one in Belgium then, yeah, I've tried them before numerous times. Their patination is good, however, their print resolution is not as good as Shapeways' print resolution. On top of that Shapeways has better and much higher quality finishing.

Although a patina on sterling silver will come naturally after about 3 or 4 months, depending on the activity and location of the wearer I do love the look of an artificial patina. Shapeways' subcontractor that does Shapeways jewelry does patination so I don't know why Shapeways doesn't offer it as a finish option for sterling silver.

Another option Shapeways should offer is Argentium silver. It's the same as sterling silver but doesn't tarnish naturally.

5. Labskull
    Labskull Active Member
    Not actually I'm talking about a shop that sells good product for patinated metals, without advertising.
    For silver metal I use "liver of sulfur gel" which gives a good result but for the brass this blackened not enough for my taste.

Yes it's a shame that shapeways does not offer the patina option. a patinated jewelry makes really good especially when the model so ready. Maybe one day !

I do not know silver argentium, it must be more adaptable to minimalist jewelry and not to the skull or other style of the same kind.

6. UniverseBecoming
    I tried liver of sulfur but stopped using it because it stinks up my whole neighborhood! HAHA! :D

7. Labskull
    Labskull Active Member
    Yes it smells a little rotten egg, it is the price paid to have a nice ring :)

8. Labskull
    Labskull Active Member
    I tested my new product to skate brass, bronze and copper and it is rather powerful that blackened very quickly. On the picture it is not obvious but the smallest detail is filled with black, this gives an antique side to this ring.
    I will test the silver patina later.

[​IMG]

9. UniverseBecoming
    Looks great! I'm seeing some print layer lines on the upper forehead and cheekbone areas though. I get rid of those using a rotary tool and these. Then I finish up with some 220, 400 and a final polish with 1 micron. You can choose from all of the different grades here. These 3M radial bristle discs are expensive but work amazingly well! Especially for polishing! When using the polishing discs it really is like magic! I remember the first time I used the 1 micron polishing discs I was absolutely astounded. They nearly instantly put on a beautiful polish WITHOUT A RESIDUE that keeps one from seeing what they're doing while polishing. They do leave a black powder that is the microscopic particles of the metal you're polishing but it is minimal and can easily be pushed along with the wheel as you're polishing. And then when finished the dust can easily be removed with compressed air or simply rinsed off with tap water.

For patination of silver, a product I use is a hydrochloric acid with tellurium combination which instantly makes the darkest black you can get on silver. Most of the time I paint it on the areas I want to patina with a tiny brush. Numerous products have the same chemical formula but a well-known one is Midas Black Max. For brass though I've never tried to do it. What did you use on this to get that nice black on your brass?

10. Labskull
    Labskull Active Member
    Thanks for all the good tips to improve the finish of my models, I take note;)

But I admit that I like things raw and give them a vintage look to see antique, that corresponds more to my expectations.

For non-ferrous metals "brass, cooper, bronze"
    http://www.tifoo-plating.com/silver-patination-20-ml

For the silver metal
    http://www.tifoo-plating.com/quick-bluing-solution-black-magic-50-ml

Thanks for the link Midas Black Max, but I think this must be an equivalent formula. I would do a test tomorrow and post a picture.

vidéo :

11. UniverseBecoming
    From the video, it appears that it is the same formula because that is exactly how fast it turns silver to black.

12. Labskull
    Labskull Active Member
    Yes it is downright instant, rather impressive as product.
    I should find the same product but in France.

Have a good day.