Full color sandstone back-lighting and wall thickness

Discussion in 'Materials' started by bvr, Feb 19, 2012.

1. bvr
    bvr Member
    Can anyone give me any insights into wall thicknesses and back-lighting FCS?
    Also at what point does the print process smooth out faces?. I want to print a smooth sphere without going overboard with faces.

thanks everyone
    bvr

2. aeron203
    aeron203 Member
    Back lighting is going to be tough at the minimum wall thickness of 3mm. The material is basically plaster so you will need a bright light to make this work. If you have a fairly wide opening on the bottom you could use something like this 3-watt, wide-angle LED module.

A sphere is a very strong shape, and I'm sure it could easily be printed about 1.5 inches wide at 1.5mm thickness for your application, if the opening was reinforced.

I would not worry too much about faceting. Making the faces about a millimeter wide would be fine.

3. bvr
    bvr Member
    aeron203,
    Thanks for the input. My "test" model will be 10cm in dia., with the full size model being as big as I can get it printed(20cm in dia). So, I imagine 3mm wall thickness will be required.

The led module is what I was planning on using. Now after your input I may try to source a brighter module.

Thanks for the tip on the faceting. This is going to be a pricey test piece so I'm trying to get as many of the variables correct before I commit to it. Unfortunately blender has thrown me a curve and as it is right now I can't get it printed correctly.

thanks much for the input.
    bvr