Flexible Material For Appliance Buttons

Discussion in 'Materials' started by jhutson03, Jan 9, 2018.

1. jhutson03
    jhutson03 Member
    Hi, I am replacing a flexible oven button no longer manufactured. It's rubbery and when uploading the design file there doesn't seem to be anything that flexes to the extent that the original would. If I cannot depress the button enough then I cannot change the cook time on my oven, for example. A good comparable product is a rubber washer used in plumbing.

Recommendations? Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
    You could try Shapeways' Elasto Plastic. It has a rubbery consistency similar to latex.

Another way would be to print a mold in a high-resolution plastic like Shapeways' High Definition Plastic or Frosted Detail Plastic and then use a two-part silicon putty like Smooth-On's Equinox 40 SLOW. It has a Shore A hardness of 40 so it would work great for your application.

You can change the color too by adding Smooth-On's Silc Pig pigments. I've used this process to make highly detailed silicone parts and it works extremely well. The reason it works so well is with other forms of casting you need to deal with air bubbles and you need to deal with the mold not filling properly. With silicone putty, there are no problems like those because you simply press it into the mold sections so there are no air bubbles and no voids. Parts come out looking just as good as injection molded parts!

Let us know what you ended up doing. :)
  3. jhutson03
    jhutson03 Member
    I really appreciate this info, will investigate the Smooth On products definitely. I am not seeing the Elasto Plastic as an option to use after uploading the design file. Is there an override I can use to select it?

Thanks again!
  4. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
    Strangely they have it included with the Strong & Flexible Plastic. It should have its own category like all of the other materials.

Elasto Plastic found.jpg