Fixing A Bowed Fud Model

Discussion in 'Finishing Techniques' started by CybranKNight, May 29, 2017.

1. CybranKNight
    CybranKNight Well-Known Member
    I recently designed and ordered a Custom TIE Striker model and it turned out well....except for some bowing on the wingtips;

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What am I looking at to fix the bowing?

00dwkr likes this.
  2. Model_Monkey
    Model_Monkey Well-Known Member
    Here's a technique that has worked well to correct bows and warps.

Tape down or otherwise temporarily fix the ends of each wing to a rigid, flat object like thick metal rulers, something that is straight and will remain straight. Leave as much of the plastic exposed as possible. Effectively, you make a straight jig for each wing.

Then sit the model in the sun or under a UV lamp for several hours. Any remaining uncured resin within the plastic will cure with the wings in that position. When you remove the wings from the jig, your wings should have taken on the straight shape and will keep it.

It has been my experience that a warping usually occurs during shipping in the box, especially if the bubble wrap is tight, and that warp indicates uncured resin in the plastic. Cured FUD doesn't bend, it breaks. That's why this technique has often worked.

Hope it works for you.

00dwkr likes this.
  3. CybranKNight
    I'm assuming with some kind of clear tape then? ;p

00dwkr likes this.
  4. Model_Monkey
    Model_Monkey Well-Known Member
    Yes, if you can, or clear tape over some clear plastic to avoid the adhesive on the model, would be ideal.

If it's any encouragement, the technique worked to repair this badly warped mast:

Before:

unnamed.jpg

After:

DSC_0135A.jpg

Obviously the geometry is very different, but I think your model stands a good chance of being corrected using the same technique.

Hope this helps.

Love your TIE Striker, by the way, Very cool.

Steve

00dwkr likes this.
  5. CybranKNight
    Yeah, luckily the wings are still "flat" so the tape trick should work, I'll have to give it a shot.

00dwkr likes this.
  6. Not sure how big the model is, but I've found that microwaving a mug of water till it's near boiling, and dropping the warped model in it for a few seconds resets the shape to how it was printed (or softens it a bit to bend it back into shape if its a thicker piece). Set it on a towel to dry and it should fixed.

7. CybranKNight
    So the Tape trick worked well enough, with the new FUD pricing I'm planning to do some tweaks to the model so I'll be re-ordering it anyways so it being slightly off isn't a huge problem.

8. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    The models are printed 'perfectly straight' but they are placed in a 150F oven to remove the waxy support material. Unfortunately, while cooling, they're not supported, so long/thin sections have a tendency to warp.

As mentioned above, heat the model in 150F water for a few minutes, and then position it so that it won't bend while cooling.