First Time Model Painting Help

Discussion in 'Finishing Techniques' started by That3DGuy, Jun 6, 2021.

1. That3DGuy
    That3DGuy Member
    Looking for some help on the proper primer and type of paint/brand recommendations to use since I have no prior experience painting miniatures.

So a few years ago I picked up a puddle jumper and space gate models from Stargate Atlantis printed in “smooth fine detail plastic” since I got them I’ve had them sitting around but finally want to get around to paint them.

from what I looked up before in terms of prep I was reading I should clean them off in some dish soap with a toothbrush, granted I don’t know if at this point since they have been sitting around so long if it would do anything or if it would be best to just have them reprinted so they are “fresh”. Beyond that I have no idea what primer is best to use on these or what type and brand of paint would be best to use. I’ve looked around at a local hobby store but they had a few different brands which I know nothing about, one was citadel.

any help would be very much appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. 00dwkr
    00dwkr Member
    IMHO, your question does not have a short answer.......

Over the years there has been a lot of discussion concerning what used to be called FUD (frosted ultra detail - now it is SFD smooth fine detail), regarding preparation and painting......

I'll put in a link to another forum that contains an explanation of the (today accepted) prep and painting process. I say 'today' because there have been changes suggested based on experience.

It would be best to read the entire thread before making a choice of products, since the guidance at the beginning of the thread changes based on experience later, and is summarized in the Dec 08 2016 entry :

http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=161086

It would be nice to give you a simple answer - but unfortunately I don't have one.

3. That3DGuy
    That3DGuy Member
    At least it's an answer and I'll take it. Usually when I ask questions like this they never get answered so at least this gives me somewhere to start.

Thanks!

00dwkr likes this.