Failed model.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GADesign, Jan 3, 2013.

1. GADesign
    GADesign New Member
    I've orderd some models along with a pinhole camera and recieved it on 21 december.

When i opened the package i saw that the pinhole camera didn't really look like what i've designed, it seems that something has gone wrong with the model.

As you can see in the pictures that i will post in comments, i'm missing the front of the camera *1 there are holes that i did'nt design *2 even a hole thet seems to be threaded *3 The model is thicker and it has features that i also did'nt designed *4

I've already mailed to service@shapeways.com twice from my mail adres info@gunterartdesign.com but did'nt get a reply, i really hope you can help me on this ?

Kind Regards,
    Wesley Günter

Owner/Designer Günter Art & Design

Shapeways Render :
    674x501_808952_686780_1354564648.jpg

2. GADesign
    GADesign New Member
    1.jpg

3. GADesign
    GADesign New Member
    2.jpg

4. GADesign
    GADesign New Member
    3.jpg

5. GADesign
    GADesign New Member
    4.jpg

6. GADesign
    GADesign New Member
  7. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Shapeways Employee Community Team
    Looks like two similar models were mixed up in shipping. I'll talk to service to see what's going on.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
  8. GADesign
    GADesign New Member
    Well it looks a bit like my model so that would mean someone has a similar design ?

It looks to me that 2 models were blended into one in the process of nesting the models befor printing, or someone has addes some features to testprint.

I've never had any problems like this so i really would'nt know ?

9. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Shapeways Employee Community Team
    We'll see if we can't find out, but it looks to me like similar items got swapped.

10. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
    That's an interesting problem you have there Shapeways. Considering the volume that you are producing everyday I can see how this would tend to occur.

After brainstorming numerous methods I cannot seem to find a good solution, being that everything is mixed together during printing.

One I idea I have is to go by weight, since the exact volume is known for each model. Problem is, trace amounts of non-printed material attached to the finished parts that was not cleaned off properly would tend to throw in enough variability to make it less than exact.

Other than printing a bar-code with each part that could be snapped off just before shipping, there are no other absolute methods I can think of at this time. If the problem were mine I would start working on a method of quick 3D scanning coupled with 3D part comparison and recognition software.

11. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    If this is indeed a case of similar models getting swapped, I would chalk it up as another milestone reached for shapeways :D
    (i.e. how many concurrent orders are necessary to make this unlikely event actually happen ?)

12. GADesign
    GADesign New Member
    2 similar models printed in the same material/colour at the same time :confused

I'm hoping it dous'nt have the same function, i was kinda expecting to have the first 3D printed Pinhole camera design :D